1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do you candle unhatched eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fatcatx, May 28, 2016.

1. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

We just had a good hatch but two lonely eggs still sit. We are just at day 22. The last late bloomer hatched about 6 hours ago but had pipped yesterday. Most of the eggs hatched between Day 20 and 21. There is no rocking or peeping (and hasn't been any as far as I can tell.) No external pips.

Wondering what day others candle late eggs to check if there is an internal pip? I was going to check tonight but thought maybe I should wait until Day 23?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I check when most everything has hatched and there is no more action coming from my eggs. When asked this by new hatchers I usually say 24 hours after the last hatcher has hatched to take into consideration new hatchers may or may not be proficient in being able to tell rather there is still life and then I still recommend doing eggtopsies by starting in the air cell just to be on the safe side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by