When do you decide that a hatch is dead?

dddCT

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Durham, CT
We are on day 22 with 1 chick hatching this AM. We have no movemnet and no other pips on day 22. The temp jumped to 117 after this chick hatched andIdon't know how long it was there9we had a funeral to attend and weren't home when she hatched).

Could the others still hatch or should I help them in some way?

YOu could quickly take one out and candle it and see if you can see any movement. I don't know about that tempature spike though, I don't know what it would do to them.

That is a huge spike and if it was that way for any length of time it could have been fatal. I would just take the baby out and leave thing be as much as possible . Get the humidity right and the temperature where it should be and leave the eggs for another day. Candle later on, upsetting the humidity by opending the incubator will not aid in the hatch and there is nothing you can do not except make sure things are on tract. If there are not more pips by day 23, candle and see what you can see. It is hard to see movement late in the hatch because the sleep for long periods when they are working on getting out. You will however see the break in the internal membrane. You can see the beak or head into the air cell. Tap on the eggs if they are alive they will peep.

thank you will be moving the one chick out later today and will candle the remaining ones. I bought a new incubator last night as well

If any are alive they are most likely dying in the shells now.

Pull them out and attempt assisted hatches NOW!!! It will only
take a few until you see a pattern.

Keep us posted.

We lost the rest of the hatch I opened them up to find perfectly form chicks but all dead. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what perhaps killed them. One survived and is the brooder. When are they able to walk. This little one is flopping around and dragging itself but not walking. It hatched about 20 hours ago.

Back
Top Bottom