When do you give up on the egg?

deapot2

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 9, 2015
Indiana
This is my first set of eggs. I've got 2 broody hens doing a fantastic job of keeping 8 eggs warm. I've not yet understood how people create sets of eggs that all hatch on the same date (so if someone could educate me, that'd be awesome on that!), so I will have to refer to my eggs by the date they were laid.

I didn't have a great flashlight until today. I grabbed 1/17, two 1/19's, and my 1/20 and brought them inside. 1/17 does not look at all as advanced as the 1/19's and my 1/20. I've read that sometimes eggs can just stop growing. I smelled the egg. It doesn't smell rotten. There's a part of me that doesn't want to give up and terminate the egg. But there is a part of me that is scared it's a bad egg and will explode all over my good eggs. Put it this way, we could see movement in the other 3. I could see an air pocket, what looked like the eye, and a mass in 1/17. That's it. I could not see veins either.

Suggestions?

This is my first set of eggs. I've got 2 broody hens doing a fantastic job of keeping 8 eggs warm. I've not yet understood how people create sets of eggs that all hatch on the same date (so if someone could educate me, that'd be awesome on that!), so I will have to refer to my eggs by the date they were laid.

I didn't have a great flashlight until today. I grabbed 1/17, two 1/19's, and my 1/20 and brought them inside. 1/17 does not look at all as advanced as the 1/19's and my 1/20. I've read that sometimes eggs can just stop growing. I smelled the egg. It doesn't smell rotten. There's a part of me that doesn't want to give up and terminate the egg. But there is a part of me that is scared it's a bad egg and will explode all over my good eggs. Put it this way, we could see movement in the other 3. I could see an air pocket, what looked like the eye, and a mass in 1/17. That's it. I could not see veins either.

Suggestions?
I hatch via incubator, but I set the eggs on the same day and they usually hatch within 48 hours of the 21 days ^^
And I think you're saying a 1/17 like it was set on Jan 17 Yeah? And so it'd be around day 17, 18 and 19 for the 4 eggs you pulled. You should be able to see veins around days 5-7 and even earlier, so if you dont see veins in egg 1/17 I would say it probably died Unless its a Green or Darkish Maran type egg where you just cant see in it XD

I hatch via incubator, but I set the eggs on the same day and they usually hatch within 48 hours of the 21 days ^^
And I think you're saying a 1/17 like it was set on Jan 17 Yeah? And so it'd be around day 17, 18 and 19 for the 4 eggs you pulled. You should be able to see veins around days 5-7 and even earlier, so if you dont see veins in egg 1/17 I would say it probably died Unless its a Green or Darkish Maran type egg where you just cant see in it XD

It is a brown egg, but it's the same color tan as the rest of the eggs that I am able to see veins and movement with. Yes, I'm referring to the dates they were set. It's my nicknames for the little ones until they hatch. :) Thank you!

I went to throw a whole incubator of eggs away when I got out hospital, The temp was 104 when I got home.They were a week over due,as I put them in bag I heard chirping.

I cracked one open, but think it was one that was still in shell,i never found him,didnt want to break any more eggs.Back when I was 15 some one gave me about 50 quail eggs from tomato fields.They were a week or more over due,i trashed them.The next morning I opened trash and every one had hatched.My last batch hatched from the 27 and went on about 5 days.about 3 a day'
These are what I'm hatching now,just for fun.They are my daughters,but I'm keeping this one,broke it out of shell

I just did my first hatch ever :) day 21 was Monday 2/1 at 3pm, I had 15 viable eggs, had 9 hatch by the end of day 21. My struggle is how long after day 21 do I let them go?

At the beginning stages I could tell, I would separate the ones I knew had birds and the ones that were questionable, then check again a few days later. after day 14 or so the ones with birds were just really dark, so I watch the air sack size. I initially set 18, and discarded 3. I cracked them open to make sure I was right and all 3 were just egg

I either saved or killed a chick today. time will tell I guess :'( I was going to chuck them this morning (2/4), and I noticed that one that had pipped monday was still in its shell, I tapped it and nothing happened :( so I started peeling the shell of to figure out what went wrong, I got it all off and half of it was what I assume to be "shrink wrapped" its head, one wing and leg were all wrapped tightly in dried membrane, I went to throw it out and it chirped at me :( </3 so I got some really warm water and rubbed the membrane until I could easily peel it off, turned the incubator back on and set it on a soft pad in it.

Now I don't dare chuck the other eggs in case their alive too! At what day do I give up?!?! The all appeared developed on lockdown...

This is my first hatch, and - I didn't plan on hatching yet, so I pulled from what I had stored for eggs, they weren't stored for hatching (some upside down, got cold in the coop before kids brought them in from the coop etc)

I just did my first hatch ever :) day 21 was Monday 2/1 at 3pm, I had 15 viable eggs, had 9 hatch by the end of day 21. My struggle is how long after day 21 do I let them go?

At the beginning stages I could tell, I would separate the ones I knew had birds and the ones that were questionable, then check again a few days later. after day 14 or so the ones with birds were just really dark, so I watch the air sack size. I initially set 18, and discarded 3. I cracked them open to make sure I was right and all 3 were just egg

I either saved or killed a chick today. time will tell I guess :'( I was going to chuck them this morning (2/4), and I noticed that one that had pipped monday was still in its shell, I tapped it and nothing happened :( so I started peeling the shell of to figure out what went wrong, I got it all off and half of it was what I assume to be "shrink wrapped" its head, one wing and leg were all wrapped tightly in dried membrane, I went to throw it out and it chirped at me :( </3 so I got some really warm water and rubbed the membrane until I could easily peel it off, turned the incubator back on and set it on a soft pad in it.

Now I don't dare chuck the other eggs in case their alive too! At what day do I give up?!?! The all appeared developed on lockdown...

This is my first hatch, and - I didn't plan on hatching yet, so I pulled from what I had stored for eggs, they weren't stored for hatching (some upside down, got cold in the coop before kids brought them in from the coop etc)
Give them a while, if they seem shrink wrapped, help them!

I don't store mine right,didnt know you were supposed to, I did a lot wrong and they still hatch.A bunch that didn't hatch last time I broke open and they weren't fertile.My daughters rooster isn't doing his job

Back
Top Bottom