When do you move the chicks out of the brooder?

AccioSarah

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2010
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I have four, 4 week old chicks, who are currently living in a 30 gallon container in my garage with a heat lamp. They have a LOT of energy, and constantly want to jump out of the box (we have now put chicken wire over the top). We take them outside as often as possible to let them run around, but they still seem restless.

When is the best/right time to move them outside? The nights are at about 50 degrees and the during the day it's about 60-80 over the coming week.
I would also put their heat lamp out in the coop, and confine them to it for a couple days so that they know it's home.

I would also wait about a week to move them... so they would be 5 weeks old. I'm adding an addition to the coop and would like it to be finished before they move out there.

So- can they be moved outside at 5-6 weeks old?

Are there going to be older chickens in the coop with them? If not, I'd say go for it! Especially since you'll have a heat lamp for them. Good Luck!

I've got 18 week old chicks running around in my brooder. I can't keep up with all the poop so they're graduating to the outside brooder/chickcoop tomorrow. I'd prefer to wait until they're at least 2 weeks old but they're stinking up the house. I think as long as you keep a heat lamp available for them to sleep under you can take them out of the brooder after a week or two if the outside temp is at least in the 60's at night.

I got 18 little babies in the house now...I will keep them there until they are about a week old and then move them outside to their own little brooder complete with 2 heat lamps....

Mine are inside for less than a week, and then they go out. Winter is the only exception, when I keep them in the garage brooder for a couple weeks, and then they go out. As long as there is a heat light, they will be fine.

Just wondering when I can put my older chicks in with other chickens. Whats a good age?

Heat lamps are fantastic inventions. My first three chickens (barred rocks) were Christmas gifts. By mid-January they were outside and did just fine as long as the lamp was on.

Im wondering when they will be "safe" from the other chickens picking on them? Does that happen?

Back
Top Bottom