When do you start using pine shavings??

Never, they stink too bad with ducklings. I use Equine Fresh pine pellets at about 3 days old or so if they go in an 'empty' brooder. If they join a brooder already in progress then they start on it from day 1.

Mine are usually 2- 4- days old. I like to give them a few days on a towel first. With my hatches usually lasting two days- the oldest get the extra time while the later hatching ones learn from them where the food and water is before I switch to shavings.

I just put my 5 day old ducks in a new brooder with pine shavings on bottom, the paper towel, then rubber shelf liner...but one of my stubborn little ducklings keeps nibbling down the side until he can get some out! then he tries to eat them! So I guess he isn't ready for them
idunno.gif
I am going to try the pellets next, but I am tired of going through paper towels, they aren't cheap! Messy little things!!

Quote:
OMG, I agree %100 about the stinky pine shavings! We had 6 Pekins inside and used pine shavings... it made our whole house smell horrible! I had to clean it everyday just to keep down the smell. Thankfully my quackers are outside now, but in the future I am definitely using a different bedding and a better brooder. The baby gate circle works good and all, but it's kinda hard to clean and the bedding slips out threw the holes. I think I'm gonna build one inside my chicken coop when it arrives. It's BIG so I'll be able to add more chicks and a build in brooder! Can't wait...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom