1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do you switch to a big girl waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by agirly4chicks, Mar 24, 2009.

1. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Can I go ahead and switch them to a adult waterer? They are 5 weeks old.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Sure! I put my waterers up on a brick or a 4x4 to elevate them a bit; the water will stay cleaner this way. [​IMG]

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I switch at about 4 weeks old - and put it up on bricks or something else to elevate it.

It really does help to keep the water cleaner. Also, they're fully feathered by then and big enough that falling in and getting chilled is no longer an issue.

4. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I have mine hanging from a hook in the coop to keep off ground..and I put mine on big ones soon as they hit the coop. had to have little lower at first but as they get bigger I keep raising it up some to about height of top of there backs..

5. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are still drinking out of chick waterers, and they are 9 months old! Which is fine until it gets warmer and they will start drinking enough water that it will become a pain to refill all the time.

Mine is raised; I also raised it as they grew.

6. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    IMO, i just change waterers when they seem to be using them too fast for me to keep them filled daily. At present i use one of those dog waterers,(the kind that come with a three gallon tank) for my big girls and guys. and when my new ones start having to be refilled more than once a day then I use the gallon waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by