when do you transition to layer feed?

I've been purchasing chicken feed and other other animal feed from TSC for years and they're fairly reasonable in price. I worked there for over 2 years and I know from first hand experience that their feed rotation is good.
Thanks!! That's where we go also 😊

I have a new flock with about 4 older hens and none of them will touch the oyster shell. I put crumbles egg shells in their feeder and they won't touch those either. The older hens egg shells were becoming so thin I couldn't pick them up without them collapsing. So they are back on layer feed. I'm hoping they and the new pullets will start using the oyster shell once they get going good and hopefully will crave it. I've never had a flock not eat the oyster shell and I have 2 different kinds out for them.

when do you transition to layer feed? Before they lay or when they start to lay
Typically you want to start to transitioning your hen at about 18 weeks old because at that age typically their reproductive system is working on making an egg so the hen will crave a higher calcium feed (layer feed is made specially for laying hens and has the extra supplements they need at this stage. Also very important to offer.oyster shell (Offer in separate container) so she can produce an egg that is strong and healthy. I would suggest not just switching from the grower feed to layer feed, but make it about a week of mixing together and then each day a bit less grower and a bit more layer until it's just layer feed. Also, please bear in mind that chickens aren't meant to eat soy. We feed organic soy and corn free layer feed along with veggies, (ck chart for what vegies chickens can eat.)watermelon, sprouted grain bread, and sometimes a piece of cooked corn on cob.(they love) for snacks. and we get perfect healthy eggs. and have happy chickens. The two babies laying in mychair are Gracie and Ginger, the two newest to the family. Ginger a Buff Orpington and Gracie a Blue Laced Red Wyndotte. I must say after havin g many different breeds, the Buff Orpington is the calmest, and most friendly sweetest bird I ever had.

Attachments

• 20200702_161137.jpg
    20200702_161137.jpg
    784.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Ypically you want to start to transitioning your hen at about 18 weeks old because at that age typically their reproductive system is working on making an egg so the hen will crave a higher calcium feed

IMO depends on breeds. For production breeds 18 weeks is reasonable, but many heritage breeds don't tend to lay until another 4 to 8 weeks past that (or more), so 18 weeks is too early for them and they benefit from the higher protein in starter or grower as they continue maturing.

I have a new flock with about 4 older hens and none of them will touch the oyster shell. I put crumbles egg shells in their feeder and they won't touch those either. The older hens egg shells were becoming so thin I couldn't pick them up without them collapsing. So they are back on layer feed. I'm hoping they and the new pullets will start using the oyster shell once they get going good and hopefully will crave it. I've never had a flock not eat the oyster shell and I have 2 different kinds out for them.
It sounds like you are doing the best job you can for them to provide the calcium they need or rather the oyster shell to them. Maybe just do what we have to Will lots of things. Give it a little more time. ? But I wish you the best of luck with them taking it in sooner as they need it. I hope they will be more cooperative to take it in as they need it. I have one of these aggravating issues as well with stubborn hens not wanting to cooperate with their “Moms or Dads” I can’t get my ten week olds three of them I split up to drink. They I guess are on a strike and won’t drink from a nipple drinker this past week that they have been drinking from fine and yes I have checked it there is nothing wrong with it. They are just on a “nipple” strike! Lol! They are three Black Lavender Orpingtons and they are like three big crows and they are mischievous like crows.

Try oyster shell with probiotic in it. Also try feeding organic non soy/non corn layer feed. Scratch & Peck and Modesto milling makes excellicent layer feeds. You might want to get blood test to see if calcium levels are low and sometimes some vit D3 will help the hen assimilate the calcium in the layer feed, but talj to your Avian vet first.

You know what I have found very interesting and don’t understand in regard to us keeping chickens in general as to starting them from chicks as laying birds not the meat birds and in discussion on this thread previously not necessarily this particular time. I find it very funny that keepers don’t want to feed young laying hens later feed who are in the fertile age as 20 weeks and up who have laid their first egg and up.

Why did you get laying hens? Again? In my mind they are to be fed layer feed and the feed they need that is for egg laying that I can provide for them as long as they need it since I purchased them they are my responsibility and I need to do this as long as they are in my care. If I cannot provide this and a proper coop and correct care for heat and cold and vet care then I need to find them a home who will but I have that lined up if that happens cause that is who I am about my animals. They have to be cared for and birds are the very same. So back to the laying feed. Why would you buy laying hens as chicks if you did not plan to place them on laying hens food at the proper time or a whole grain or grains and have oyster shell and of course have grit also available for them at all times to take as needed. ???????

Why would you buy laying hens as chicks if you did not plan to place them on laying hens food at the proper time
Because layer feed is not the only way to feed laying birds.
Many of us use an all flock feed, with Oyster Shells for the active layers.
My young pullets don't need calcium, nor do the hens when they are molting, nor does the flock cock.

Back
Top Bottom