when do you transition to layer feed?

However he did get me some growers for my younglings. I was wondering if it would be better to feed my cockerels & hen that isn't laying that. I know it has higher protein, but surely that would be better than the calcium?

No we don’t have Agway - I’ve never heard of it. We have local a Farm and Feed store, Our county farm co-op, and in the next county a Tractor Supply and of course their county co-ops and feed stores. I’ll just keep calling around.

Grower is a perfectly acceptable alternative to all flock. It's really about looking at the nutrition panel on the bag and not focusing too much on the name, as different manufacturers label their feeds differently. Grower, all flock, flock raiser, hatch to hen are all often very similar, even many starter feeds are suitable to feed all ages of chickens. You're just looking for something that's lower in calcium than layer (i.e. 1% vs 4%) and with protein somewhere between 17-20%.

when do you transition to layer feed? Before they lay or when they start to lay
I have read all the replies now i will give you my 50 years of having chooks start with chicken crumbles for around 6 weeks switch to growers untill they are 20 to 22 weeks then go for a good quality layer pellet from then on, growers mix has to much protien in it to keep the pullets on past laying and can damage there liver a scientific fact never keep your roosters on growers past 20 weeks as they are very prone to liver damage from high protein they say even layer pellets have to much protein for them but there is not much you can do when they run with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom