when do you transition to layer feed?

You know what I have found very interesting and don’t understand in regard to us keeping chickens in general as to starting them from chicks as laying birds not the meat birds and in discussion on this thread previously not necessarily this particular time. I find it very funny that keepers don’t want to feed young laying hens later feed who are in the fertile age as 20 weeks and up who have laid their first egg and up.

Why did you get laying hens? Again? In my mind they are to be fed layer feed and the feed they need that is for egg laying that I can provide for them as long as they need it since I purchased them they are my responsibility and I need to do this as long as they are in my care. If I cannot provide this and a proper coop and correct care for heat and cold and vet care then I need to find them a home who will but I have that lined up if that happens cause that is who I am about my animals. They have to be cared for and birds are the very same. So back to the laying feed. Why would you buy laying hens as chicks if you did not plan to place them on laying hens food at the proper time or a whole grain or grains and have oyster shell and of course have grit also available for them at all times to take as needed. ???????
I don't think it's a question of lack of appropriate care for the birds. As I understand it, the issue is that in flocks with mixed ages and genders, not all the chickens should eat layer feed as the extra calcium it contains is bad for them, whereas all flock or flock raiser can be fed to all ages and genders with oyster shell offered on the side for those laying hens who need it.
In my case, I will be able to feed layer feed in a few months as all my chicks are the same age and are all female. My sister, however, has chickens as young as 3 months, full-grown laying hens, hens that are pretty much past laying, and a rooster. I pointed out that she shouldn't be feeding layer feed, which is all anyone carries around here besides chick starter/grower. Her chickens free range most of the time and get a lot of their food by themselves, so they do not rely heavily on the feed that she provides anyway, but she would like to find all flock or flock raiser. I am trying to source it as I am raising some chicks for her and I want them to have the most appropriate feed when they move to her farm.

This new flock is just 20 weeks and are just starting laying. I'm hoping when the layer ration runs out they will seek out the oyster shell while on All Flock. For the time being the rooster is in his own pen and mama hens with babies are in their own pen. those are all on nonmedicated starter/grower.

As for other chicken keepers, everyone has their own way of feeding for various reasons. I personally start on layer feed at 18 weeks also with most of my flocks. This one is just not having any oyster shell. And during molt and winter layoff I switch off the layer ration.

I don't think it's a question of lack of appropriate care for the birds. As I understand it, the issue is that in flocks with mixed ages and genders, not all the chickens should eat layer feed as the extra calcium it contains is bad for them, whereas all flock or flock raiser can be fed to all ages and genders with oyster shell offered on the side for those laying hens who need it.
In my case, I will be able to feed layer feed in a few months as all my chicks are the same age and are all female. My sister, however, has chickens as young as 3 months, full-grown laying hens, hens that are pretty much past laying, and a rooster. I pointed out that she shouldn't be feeding layer feed, which is all anyone carries around here besides chick starter/grower. Her chickens free range most of the time and get a lot of their food by themselves, so they do not rely heavily on the feed that she provides anyway, but she would like to find all flock or flock raiser. I am trying to source it as I am raising some chicks for her and I want them to have the most appropriate feed when they move to her farm.
FYI starter is basically “all flock” starter is ground usually alittle smaller compared to “all flock and flock raiser” crumbles. You don’t need to source anything as you already have it apparently. Meatbird is also another “all flock” type product and about the same size crumbles.
Personally I have from 2 week olds to laying hens. My containers contain a mixture of 33%layer pellets/33%grower pellets/33%meatbird

I could definitely have misinterpreted. It would not have been the first time. I just got from the majority of the folks - not in this thread the other discussion that occurred in a previous thread that they did not really want to feed them at all. Especially layer feed. I will say that since the pandemic more folks have reversed back to the old ways of doing things and more people are keeping chickens now and feed is harder to come by in any type from any location. It is easier to find ordering in my opinion. I can usually get the organic easier from Amazon or Chewy if I want Scratch and Peck. If I want Nutrena I go to the local feed store. If I want Purina brand I go to TSC they will have it off label but it’s Purina for sure. It’s just in a white bag with no name on it but it’s Purina brand if it’s from TSC. My birds nor me are that picky I just hate to keep switching them around all the time due to not being able to find feed. It’s aggravating to get them on a good feed they eat well and do well on and then boom you can’t find it anymore. I prefer to give my local feed store my business if possible. They need it if possible. They are the ones who support us when our birds or other animals have an injury or illness over the weekend or at night. They are open early and on the weekend with meds for them to help with all kinds or problems and help with any kind of issue or ailment. I like to try to help them stay in business to be sure that support stays available to me. TSC is not always open.

I pointed out that she shouldn't be feeding layer feed, which is all anyone carries around here besides chick starter/grower.

she would like to find all flock or flock raiser. I am trying to source it as I am raising some chicks for her
I feed all my chickens a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18%. 12 weeks old and 23 months old.
As RoosterML said, it similar to an All-Flock Crumble, and for me a dollar cheaper.
If your sister can get a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower with 18 to 20% Protein, that can be fed to chickens of all ages. Starter feeds are easy to find around here.

I like and buy these two brands. The Purina is a 25 lb bag that I buy if I have less than 4 chickens.
20200518_091501_resized_kindlephoto-16355416.jpg

But my TSC has several brands. Some are Non-GMO, some are Organic. GC

when do you transition to layer feed? Before they lay or when they start to lay
I Give them layer pellets when I Move them into the hatching box area, big coop general population. Around 5 months Unless they start before laying before. when they r mature and I know they r going to start laying.

This new flock is just 20 weeks and are just starting laying. I'm hoping when the layer ration runs out they will seek out the oyster shell while on All Flock. For the time being the rooster is in his own pen and mama hens with babies are in their own pen. those are all on nonmedicated starter/grower.

As for other chicken keepers, everyone has their own way of feeding for various reasons. I personally start on layer feed at 18 weeks also with most of my flocks. This one is just not having any oyster shell. And during molt and winter layoff I switch off the layer ration.
Hey everyone! Y’all are not reading my entire post! I am also posting about layer feed, and grains, and oyster shell as well as grit. I am speaking about feeding chickens - our laying hens- in general. I am not breaking feeding laying hens down into chicks, pullets, older hens, etc. all flock. I am just speaking about feeding chickens to keep them from starving having adequate nutrition. I am not knocking your feeding protocols whether you are using feed for those actually laying, in molt, roosters, old hens, chicks, or those with purple ears and three eyes, just was laying hens to produce eggs for you that need food and fed. I was generally speaking about being sure to care for those who provide something for us. I think I offended the very people on here who are at the top of their game on chicken care and are some experts on chicken health and feeding guidelines. That was not in the least what my intent was. Please read the entire post and my apologies to you all.

I feed all my chickens a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18%. 12 weeks old and 23 months old.
As RoosterML said, it similar to an All-Flock Crumble, and for me a dollar cheaper.
If your sister can get a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower with 18 to 20% Protein, that can be fed to chickens of all ages. Starter feeds are easy to find around here.

I like and buy these two brands. The Purina is a 25 lb bag that I buy if I have less than 4 chickens.View attachment 2262775
But my TSC has several brands. Some are Non-GMO, some are Organic. GC
Thanks, RoosterML and GC-Raptor! That simplifies it a lot!

Back
Top Bottom