when he might be a she.....

WhitneyJo

Chirping
Jun 11, 2018
I'm feeling kind of silly about this one.... I got what we thought was a Serama trio: 1 roo, 2 hens, a few weeks ago. They were all about the same age, roo not yet crowing....not super clear on age, but told absolutely no older than 8 months. I'm very new to the breed, not looking to show or breed, just wanted some adorable house chickens to love, so we got pet quality. I absolutely adore them! However I'm unsure he is actually a he. At first he was kind of bossy to the girls, I didn't think anything of it, they were new to him and I figured it was all just get to know you and immature hormonal young rooster stuff.... He is a frizzle, so his shape is kind of hidden by the fluff, but he is very round, lacking that upright, alert, rooster posture. But being pet quality I was thinking maybe that's just him. His hackle feathers are almost non existent (I figured he was being picked on by the more mature roos he was being housed with) and being frizzle, aren't really helping me decide. He seems very roostery next to my two hens...however extremely unroostery compared to actual roos..... none of them have laid yet, so maybe I just need to wait it out and see what happens. Regardless they are all much loved :)
seramas.jpg
littlemac.jpg

Pretty sure all of them are females. There is no sign of male feathering in the frizzle, and it's old enough to where it should have it if the bird is a boy. The comb and wattles are big, but not that big, and the comb flops a little like a female's would. Also, it looks like a wheaten females, and males of that color pattern look entirely different. So that's where I am coming from when I guess female.

Although, All three look awfully pale in the face. How big is their set-up and are they able to go outdoors? What do you feed your seramas?

These pictures were taken within the first couple of days I brought them home, the food you see was what the seller sent me home with that I used to transition to my feed. I feed Kalmbach high omega layer feed (since they are supposed to be close to laying age). I also grind up black oil sun flower seeds, pumpkin seeds, barley, oats, cracked corn, peanuts, and brewers yeast as a scratch grain treat for them. They always have oyster shell and grit available. Every once now and then I put apple cider vinegar in their water. They do not go outside, I was considering doing a vitamin D supplement to help with calcium absorption and maybe a UV light, thoughts? I had them in rabbit sized cage but just upgraded them to a critter nation this weekend. They have lots of out of the cage time in the evenings....

These pictures were taken within the first couple of days I brought them home, the food you see was what the seller sent me home with that I used to transition to my feed. I feed Kalmbach high omega layer feed (since they are supposed to be close to laying age). I also grind up black oil sun flower seeds, pumpkin seeds, barley, oats, cracked corn, peanuts, and brewers yeast as a scratch grain treat for them. They always have oyster shell and grit available. Every once now and then I put apple cider vinegar in their water. They do not go outside, I was considering doing a vitamin D supplement to help with calcium absorption and maybe a UV light, thoughts? I had them in rabbit sized cage but just upgraded them to a critter nation this weekend. They have lots of out of the cage time in the evenings....
dimensions? I would supply them with vitamin D3 Tractor supply carries some specifically for poultry.

dimensions? I would supply them with vitamin D3 Tractor supply carries some specifically for poultry.

Good to know, thank you I will pick some up. I've had them 3 weeks and am still trying to nail down our nutrition and care regime any and all suggestions are welcome. The cage they are in now is this model
upload_2018-12-10_11-55-9.png
, dimensions are 36"L x 24"W x 63"H Inches.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-10_11-54-53.png
    upload_2018-12-10_11-54-53.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom