When is breeding season for ducks??

Ok, a bit off the subject, but i have a somewhat urgent question. My drake is trying to mate with one of my ducks and keeps pulling on her neck (feathers?). I have read a little about the aggressiveness of mating. How far should this go? I am new to ducks and have had my share of trauma with both ducks and chickens, I don't know if I can take much more. Are Khakis very aggressive in mating? I would rather get rid of my drake than be worried and stressed about the ducks getting injured. Please give me advice.

I have a larger than usual number of drakes right now since I have ducklings that have matured but the drakes are not aggressive towards my hens. The hens are busy choosing their mates and telling off the other hens so I need to clear out the drakes that I am not keeping before any get too attached to them. They are a handsome bunch! My spring babies are ready to breed before the season ends so they are the ones making all the noise.

Ok, a bit off the subject, but i have a somewhat urgent question. My drake is trying to mate with one of my ducks and keeps pulling on her neck (feathers?). I have read a little about the aggressiveness of mating. How far should this go? I am new to ducks and have had my share of trauma with both ducks and chickens, I don't know if I can take much more. Are Khakis very aggressive in mating? I would rather get rid of my drake than be worried and stressed about the ducks getting injured. Please give me advice.
I would suggest that you read this article...

http://www.webvet.com/main/2009/01/09/duck-mating-sex-lives-ducks

I have had to learn to just turn my back when my ducks go at it. Duck sex is not pretty at all. But I am committed to a breeding program with Cayuga ducks so it has to happen.

I would suggest that you read this article...

http://www.webvet.com/main/2009/01/09/duck-mating-sex-lives-ducks

I have had to learn to just turn my back when my ducks go at it. Duck sex is not pretty at all. But I am committed to a breeding program with Cayuga ducks so it has to happen.
Thanks, that does help. Sometimes I get so nervous I feel like just getting rid of my Khaki drake, but he is so social and sweet and beautiful that I decide against it...

Thanks, that does help. Sometimes I get so nervous I feel like just getting rid of my Khaki drake, but he is so social and sweet and beautiful that I decide against it...
I know exactly how you feel. I have even gone so far as to post an ad in the local paper to give mine away but withdrew the ad after less than 24 hours. Can't live with them and can't live without them. Go figure.

This is the small adult flock that I have in addition to the Cayugas. The Khaki and the Blue Swedish drakes are the worst. The Khaki has only one goal with the Cayugas and that is to kill all the Cayuga drakes. But he is so pretty and so cute the other times.

Haha! Yep, that's what I am thinking, having ducks for about 5 months now. I was super excited to get them, then the young stage when they're inside was horrific, then outside was great, then tons of other ups and downs as I quickly figured out that some things did not work and needed to change and etc!! But I am finally getting to the point where things are taking a routine and slowing down a bit...for now... :)

is it really that bad? I was hoping my girls would get a break soon.... Also i have three females sitting on eggs right now. Will the drakes hurt the ducklings?

is it really that bad? I was hoping my girls would get a break soon.... Also i have three females sitting on eggs right now. Will the drakes hurt the ducklings?
Drakes have been known to injure and kill ducklings so the drakes should have their own enclousure when hatching begin. Also mama ducks don't relish having other females around their ducklings and they can injure ducklings too if one strays too far from mama. Once ducklings are around 3-4 weeks old and the drakes have seen them through fencing you can try letting them be all together but I wouldn't do it if they are all kept in a pen where the ducklings won't be able to keep away from the drakes.

Back
Top Bottom