When is Bumblefoot just a callous ?

Aug 17, 2020
Quebec, Canada
Hi, I have a tiny little Bantam white hen who is having no symptoms of anything. She is always peckish (in all senses), so no appetite loss. She is active, does not favour a foot. Still lays, has no pain behaviours. I have washed and soaked her foot, the very large black mass has lost its crusty top and is now as smooth as the callouses on my toes. I put a topical anti-inflammatory on the red places on top of the foot and they are fine. The mass is big and I don't want to cause a problem by trying to remove it if it is not a problem.

Hi, I have a tiny little Bantam white hen who is having no symptoms of anything. She is always peckish (in all senses), so no appetite loss. She is active, does not favour a foot. Still lays, has no pain behaviours. I have washed and soaked her foot, the very large black mass has lost its crusty top and is now as smooth as the callouses on my toes. I put a topical anti-inflammatory on the red places on top of the foot and they are fine. The mass is big and I don't want to cause a problem by trying to remove it if it is not a problem.
Can you post some pictures? They would be really big help. : )

I tried, she is just not interested in letting me (a video of me trying to take a picture of her foot pad would be a hit. Imagine me wrestling a tiny creature that I am afraid of squeezing while she runs all over the kitchen pecking everything.) Luckily my spouse is the whisperer with all animals. He will be home soon, I will try to tag team her.

I tried, she is just not interested in letting me (a video of me trying to take a picture of her foot pad would be a hit. Imagine me wrestling a tiny creature that I am afraid of squeezing while she runs all over the kitchen pecking everything.) Luckily my spouse is the whisperer with all animals. He will be home soon, I will try to tag team her.
Ok, that sounds perfect : ) My chickens aren't the best photo posers either:gig

here are the pics (chicken held in arms of hubby, only he can calm a chicken enough for the legs to be that relaxed ;) )

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_161214.jpg
    IMG_20201205_161214.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20201206_111900.jpg
    IMG_20201206_111900.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20201206_112040.jpg
    IMG_20201206_112040.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 11
That’s full blown Bumblefoot. A lot of folks advocate surgery, but Bumblefoot is a staph infection so if you don’t get ALL of the infection, surgery is a moot point. I’ve had success treating with Baytril 2.5%. It’s orally injected. You can find it at allbirdproducts.com. I’ve treated a bird for two years for bumblefoot, all of the old-school methods including surgery, nothing worked until I tried Baytril.

by orally injected you mean ou squirt some in her mouth ? have you tried the topical things like Tricide Neo and api pond melafix pond fish bacterial infection remedy? they are topicals you use to soak.

by orally injected you mean ou squirt some in her mouth ? have you tried the topical things like Tricide Neo and api pond melafix pond fish bacterial infection remedy? they are topicals you use to soak.
I tried tricide neo for a week, soaking five minutes a day. It was an expensive treatment and time consuming. Also didn’t work for me. Baytril is cheaper long term and less time consuming. And yes you just squirt it in their mouth once a day.

Back
Top Bottom