When is it not safe to eat eggs?

Rockysmama

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 1, 2008
I went away for several days leaving a neighbor to come over and check hens and collects eggs, I left them with clean water, food, clean coop, and free to go inside and out (completely enclosed. I have 7 birds of various breeds, all about 1 1/2 years--4 are Buff Orphs. The neighbor called yesterday and told me that 2 of the buffs she found dead, one Sat., one Sunday. No sign of trouble before I left on Thursday. A third buff looked ill when I got back today and I gave her water and yogurt, both with antimicrobial essential oils in it.

My question--one person ate some eggs from the girls and got stomach cramps and diarrhea after a few hours, and that passed. Two two other people ate the eggs with no issues. The woman who got sick is older, less healthy and probably has lower immunity. Or it could have had nothing to do with the eggs. Should we not eat eggs from sick birds, or does it depend what they are sick with, or should I assume if they are sick, they probably aren't the ones laying?

Thanks for the help.

Wow, You came up with a question and a half.
I personally would not eat eggs from a sick bird. You should seperate the sick ones, then you would know if the eggs came from sick or healthy birds. If you think a disease is running through the flock, I would probably not eat any of the eggs till they are better.

Good luck and sorry you are having trouble.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom