When is the best time for the roosters to be rehomed

loving my chicks

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 30, 2010
I hatched out some silkie eggs in my incubator this spring and now have 9 silkie chicks - 11 weeks old. I don't have a large backyard and was hoping to have 3 or 4 hens when they are grown. I have 4 that I think are roosters. My question is: is it better to try to rehome them now or would they fit into a new flock better when they are mature?
I thought they might be easier to find a home for now, while they are still small but then I wondered whether they would take a beating from a new flock that they havent been raised with.
Thanks

You want to rehome them while they are still young and cute. i have raised many a silkie roo, and they may be nice and sweet when young only to turn mean and nasty when they come of age. Not all get mean, but you just never know who will. Do yourself a favor and get them to their new home now.

Thank you. I think I needed permission! I had the Craigs list add all made out and "chickened" out.
My splash rooster is the sweetest chick that I have. I'm going to have a hard time getting rid of him but thought he might find a better home now, instead of becoming soup later. I don't want to wait until I am desparate to get rid of him.
If anyone in the Seattle area is looking for a silkie rooster, I have two black, one splash (Mostly white with dark grey splashes), and a partridge (dark grey/black with an orange feathers on his shoulders.)

Back
Top Bottom