When is the best time of day to move chicks outdoors?

leslielbk

Songster
7 Years
Hi all - I'm in a pickle. I have 19 chicks in the house ready to go outside into their coop, but I don't know what time of day is best, and I need any suggestions on how to move them out there. It's a lot of birds, they're pretty big and rambunctious. Do I take one out at a time, or put several in a box, or what container is best?
I kinda need help asap - they're flying all over the house and won't stay in their pen.
Thanks!!!!

When weather is fair and your housing is proper and secure.
thumb blue.gif

Hello fellow Floridian. Mine go out in 7 days right now. Put them out by little in an igloo cooler with the lid shut. Hello fro Marion County!:frow

They can go out when ever you feel it is safe for them. I usually put mine outside for the first time when they are around 6 weeks and usually in the morning to see how it goes. If it works out, I will set them up to spend the night outside in their new house. After a while they will have learned how to go inside the coop on their own and they are officially outdoors!
:thumbsup

I use a Rubbermaid container pop 4-6 in and run them outside, repeat til done.

I’d put them out in the morning as said above , to give them time to look around . Lock them in coop for a few days ... have fun cleaning your house !!

I brood my chicks outdoors with MHP. They go into their brooder/coop shortly after hatch when night time temps are often down to mid/low 20's.

As for transporting them, a box will do. Load it up with as many chicks as you can comfortably carry. Repeat till all are transported to coop. I would put them out during the day into a secure coop/run. With your climate, I would not shut them in the coop. You will have to put them in every evening and let them out again in the morning until they get the hang of the new bedtime routine.

I use a cat carrier to transport my chicks, and usually have them trained to it by the time they are 2 weeks old if my current set up requires that accomodation.

We just put our 3 week olds out on the coop for the first time a couple days ago. We had 10 in a covered brooder box, and my husband and I just carried the whole thing to the coop and opened the lid. We put a light in the corner of the coop and they were scared so they all wanted to be by the light. We hung out in there with them for a bit, but now they are LOVING the space. Good luck!

Best time of day: whenever you have time to go check in on them. If you work at home/are usually home to do so, then I'd put them out earlier in the day, so they have more time to explore their new surroundings.

I would put several in a box at a time and carry them out, if you do it individually they'll all be crying for their flockmates and plus that's just a lot of trips back and forth.

I’ve done the opposite, I always transfer them out in the coop when it’s totally dark, I use a box to transport them 100 ft from my garage, no fuzz no mas. They’re always calm and sleepy. Though I discover lately, best way to raise chicks- broody momma hen, I never had to take care of them and momma hen teach them everything they need to know and I never had to worry wether they’re warm or cold, and they seem to be a lot healthier and active.

Back
Top Bottom