When is the best time to let Muscovy ducklings out with Papa?

AlaskaItaly

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
My Muscovy ducklings are about 7 weeks old now - is it safe to let them be around Papa?

I tried the other day and Papa was grabbing and biting at the closest ones. I separated them again.

Is it more of a problem to put the male ducklings with the Papa?

The ducklings are nearly the size of the adult females.

AND...how do you sex the ducklings?

It is probably too late to vent sex them, but for future reference, Metzer Farms has a good video on vent sexing ducks. I tried it and it works. Don't know what to say about Papa though as I'm not there yet. Where are you located? Just curious due to your screen name.

Ciao Birdbrain!

Thanks for the video tip. I have a home in Assisi, Italy and in Anchorage, Alaska - thus...AlaskaItaly!

Where are you in Alaska? Do you want some ducks????
smile.png

Presently, I am in Alaska with my ducks.

Last edited:
In all my experience in raising Scovies, I have never tried to keep their papa away. The hen usually brings them out and around the rest of the flock after 4-5 days, and it is adorable watching the drake take guard over the hen and ducklings. and he also does a wonderful job at keeping all the other ducks at bay. I do see the drake pecking at them, but I have not see anything that would classify it as an attack, I think the drake is just grooming them. I found that when the males come to sexually maturity, thats when its best to seperate the drakes if the older drake becomes too agressive to the offerspring. My experience has always been, two drakes, too many, just need one. I usually rehome the older drakes when the younger drake is sexually mature because my experience with the older drakes, they get violently sexually aggressive as they age, and I have lots a number of my favorite hens.

I didnt get the chance to check out the video on sex venting, I thought Scovies were the only duck that couldnt be sexed at hatch? Humm..... will check out the video and see if it applies to Scovies.

Thanks so much for the information. I'll let them all out with Papa.

I hope I haven't waited too long to put them all together.

Scovies are easy to sex, you just have to waite a bit.

The Drakelets will have larger feet. They also carry themselves a bit higher. I have noticed in mine that they usually lead the group around and about even at a very young age. Their waddle is different, there's more sway to it, especially as they grow and get hevier. It will probably be the Drakelets that Dad is more touchy with.

By 6-7 weeks most Mom's are starting to push the ducklings away, but mine don't until they decide to sit again. But by 12 weeks, you'll definately know who is who and who needs to go, now (extra Drakelets) and who can stay a bit longer (Ducks).

I had one small hatch that I just wasn't sure about. Turned out they were all Drakelets.

Oh ya, 7 weeks old, now they are going to really put on some growth.

I'm in Anchorage too. You should join the Alaska Random Ramblings thread. Not really in the market for more ducks right now, but what colors have you got? I have two blues, one chocoate and two buffs.

Good Morning Birdbrain - where do I find the Alaska Ramblings?

I have chocolate females and a white female - a beautiful Drake who was purple but it seems now has decided to turn black and white????!!! I'm new at this so have no idea if this is normal.

The babies are still changing color.

I posted some photos of the babies on another post I recently posted.

Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=362268
Come
over and tell us about yourself and jump right in. We have active members from Sterling, Hope, Anchorage, Palmer, Wasilla, Sutton, Chickaloon, Nenanna, and sometimes Valdez and Delta Junction.

Where did you get your muscovies from? There was a lady selling some in May near the zoo. I looked at them but ended up ordering mine from outside.

Back
Top Bottom