When is time to butcher?

We had 19 chicks hatch the first week of July and knew we couldn't keep them all - we waited until we knew the roos from the hens and just chose from there. Two went to new homes a couple days ago- they were good strong roos but did not stick out as overly friendly or overly crabby. I brought three to a butcher the other day - we didn't have the heart to do it ourselves with this round because one was our favorite. We chose the three because 1)the first had a very bad cross beak and only one eye - he was such a sweetheart and I still feel awful, but for breeding and guarding purposes he wasn't ideal. 2) the second had very wobbly legs and couldn't roost - he slept by himself in a corner every night 3) the third was already quite feisty. The two we kept were pretty friendly to us so far and good to the ladies. That was our selection process. I just picked them up from the butcher today and at about 18.5-19 weeks old, the three dressed out at 3.5-4.25 pounds. One was a buff cochin/EE cross and the other two were black orpington/? crosses.

Found this really helpful. I have leghorns and some 'heavy breeds' (that's what the hatchery called them). They look like they have meat on them but when I catch them, it's mostly feathers (and attitude). They are about 14 weeks old. All are cockerels...so some are starting to think they can sing and when you have 30 of them....it's gets kind of loud (although funny with the croaking noises).
yippiechickie.gif

Any suggestions to umm...'help' them gain weight? How often should I be feeding them? They eat like they have never seen food before....I've been feeding 2x a day but not sure that is enough now.

Thank you for any advice....first time doing meat birds and trying to get it all figured out.

I have a meatie that is turning 8 weeks, Just was looking at her and her toes are turned inward and she only waddles a bit before plunking down. I weight her yesterday and she is going on 6 lbs. is it time to process her? It is really hot here today maybe that is why is sitting down more often?!

I have a meatie that is turning 8 weeks, Just was looking at her and her toes are turned inward and she only waddles a bit before plunking down. I weight her yesterday and she is going on 6 lbs. is it time to process her? It is really hot here today maybe that is why is sitting down more often?!
I wouldn't be in a great hurry to process, but that is just me. Her legs aren't splayed, sound like she can get up on her feet, albeit she has an abnormal gait. If she couldn't get up on her feet, but rather back on her hocks(is that what you call it) trying to walk, then I would process. We have had some of our CX that are bowlegged when we eat them...and there is a little rotation in the bone from the stress of the increased weight.. That could be what you are seeing with her toes turning inward.

Thanks! I'll hold off then. You are right she doesn't have difficulties walking. Just funny toes.....can you tell I'm a newbie lol. Paranoid

Thanks! I'll hold off then. You are right she doesn't have difficulties walking. Just funny toes.....can you tell I'm a newbie lol. Paranoid
I'm a newbie too(shhh, don't tell anybody)! I got layer hens late last summer, then meaties(CX) in February this year....processed 20. Now I have 20 Red Rangers, 18 dual purpose males that I am going to caponize, 10 blue and black copper marans with two roos for breeding....AND a broody hen that just hatched 11/11 eggs her first time out(my first time too)....and now I am trying my hand at incubating some of my layers eggs before I start incubating my copper marans....I need an intervention!!!
lau.gif
th.gif

My avatar is Mama and two of her chicks that hatched this past weekend.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom