When next to treat for mites and lice?

General Cuddles

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2018
I appreciated the quick response to by question concerning our chickens. We have treated them with sevin dust last night. How soon should we do that again. Should I sprinkle sevin dust on the sand in the chicken run or is that not a good thing to do? Also thank you for letting me know the ratio of hens per rooster.

Shouldn’t treat within seven dust,not good for them.Use permethrin spray and dust,Spray the coop with mixed water and permithin.Mix dust in their dusting spots spray them everyday for a week clean coop very well then spray the mixture in the coo get every crack and crevice.

Welcome! Carbaryl is no longer approved for use in chickens in the USA, so don't use it if you are here. Permethrin spray is best, and permethrin dust works well too, for either mites or lice.
The answer is, it depends; what are you treating? Often it's necessary to retreat in ten days or so.
Mary

First, Welcome to BYC!

According to your other thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-lost-feathers.1227840/
Your birds have lost feathers.

Treating for lice/mites is not recommended unless you actually see lice/mites.
Spreading insecticide in the area is not good (horrible) for the local pollinators and other insects.
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

If you do find some...check out this thread:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134783/permethrin-spray

Also thank you for letting me know the ratio of hens per rooster.

As for the male/female ratio, as few cocks as necessary to achieve fertility (if that is your goal)...there are no hard numbers, tho many will cite 1:10.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Back
Top Bottom