When should a rooster become a gentleman? Training needed?

Adenium

Songster
7 Years
Jan 28, 2012
Connecticut
OK, so we have this young cockerel that was supposed to be a Partridge Rock pullet. He's only 6 weeks, so I'm not expecting great chivalry out of him. But I am rather worried about being able to keep him, having limited space and a potential harem of only 4 silkies and 2 standard hens.

I see lots of contradictory info over whether a roo will "overmate" a small number or hens or be OK, and I'm of course completely in the dark about what his personality will be like as he ages. So obviously I'm hoping to see some good rooster behaviors develop that warrant keeping him, while understanding he will go through a teenage terror stage when hormones kick in at 4-5 months.

BUT when do these nice behaviors start? The looking out for the hens, sounding alarms, pointing out treats, hanging back until the hens have had some? My boy is just a chick, so when there's a treat he happily pushes his way in just as all the hens do. This is normal, right? But when should I start seeing him taking on the role of protector? Or when should I be seeing that it may not be in the cards for this particular boy? Do all of these things only start when the hormones kick in? Should I be somehow training him, pushing him away from treats until the hens have some, etc.?

I would dearly love to keep him rather than giving him away to what's certain to be chicken dinner, so I want to make sure I don't make errors. Right now I handle him just to take him in and out for supervised roaming in the yard, not much else. LOTS of contradictory info on the handling thing, too. He was originally my lap chicken by his choice, but I don't encourage that now given what I've read here.

If only the sexing had just been accurate, I'd be worry-free right now.

Why not handle your rooster? The ONLY way it will backfire is if your rooster is mean, but there should be no way, why or where that he cant be your lap chicken. Ours is and a sweetheart

Just let him devolep. Before we knew our cochin guy was, well, a guy, he would just act like a hen- shoving for treats, etc. But now, he wont even EAT treat except maybe a tiny peice that fell on the ground. I think its really helpful to have more then one rooster, and one to be older. We got real lucky with a sweet (well good gentleman) rooster, so now our cochin rooster is like a complete copy of our origanal rooster (We no longer have him ): ) , he courts the same, he clucks for treats, he sings while they sing (lay eggs). So I'm a bit biased about only have one rooster
tongue.png
And not another to 'coach' him, but I understand if you can only have one.

If he was your lap chicken BY CHOICE, then he should make a great roo. Just let him develop, and his teen hormones should mostly be chasing and mating the hens. Ours hasn't flogged, but if your flogs you, do NOT let him get away- hold him to the ground until he stops struggling, and repeat as nescesarry. I always say that you can pray, beg, hope, etc. for a swety rooster who will run up to you, but sometimes the best roo will let you do your buisness while he does his.

Hope this helped!

Because I've heard so many stories, especially from the old-timers on here, that it's the "cuddled" roosters that end up with issues. The theory being that all that snuggle-time keeps them from having their normal fear and reticence towards humans, and instead breeds familiarity that the rooster reads as "open for a dominance struggle". They view you like another roo eventually instead of like a human who is separate from the dominance struggle.

Others of course say you should act like a roo and like an Alpha, meaning you don't let the roo mate hens in front of you and don't let him eat until "your" hens eat and all that. I don't need him to be snuggly, but I certainly want to avoid aggression issues. I may have to get rid of him anyway depending on how freaked out my husband gets if he mates the delicate silkies.

I am hoping he'll be a "good" roo and watch out for his hens, so there are some mitigating factors when we decide if he has to go or not. Maybe I should have just gotten sex-linked hens to avoid all this, but I so loved the PRs.

My sister cuddled our rooster (before we knew he was a roo). Best roo ever, but like I said, could be cause we had a older roo to 'teach' him. He'll run from you, but half heartedly and he isn't afraid of you but he isn't agressive. A rooster should be now different then a hen , other then the spurs, breeding, and the over all 'more agreesive' tendency
lol.png
If you want you can cuddle him, just dont hug him and all, but him being on your lap and being stroke is 100% fine.

Never heard of the roo not being able to mate in front of you... Or let the hens eat first... Just let the roo be himself, I'm sure he'll be fine. Not all roosters can be gentleman, but it doesn't mean he'll be terrible. If anything, ship him up here, I'll take him!
big_smile.png

PRs? Lol, im not good with the abreviations.
Are the silkies the same age as the rooster?

Oops, Partridge Rock. And yes, they are all the same age - we got them via My Pet Chicken last month. They're our first chickens, hence my bumbling around trying to figure all this out. We definitely weren't planning on having a rooster, but are trying to make the best of it. Thanks for the advice! I just wish there were better consensus on the "best" plan. I hear polar opposites from my research here.

MPC was good to us, all except for having a Partridge silkie instead of a Red...and this little guy being a guy!

I've got 4-week and 6-week pics in this thread from when I was still trying to figure out his gender:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-4-week-old-partridge-rock-updated-at-6-weeks

He looks a little higgledy-piggledy now, but I think he'll be beautiful when full-grown, which is partly why I want to keep him. If the neighbors can deal with the crowing and he doesn't hurt the hens and if he doesn't go after us, if if if.......

Well vent sexing can be wrong sometimes
wink.png

He will be BEAUTIFUL. I'll try and get a pic of our cochin roo, hes a partridge too and is stunning
droolin.gif
Ours looked the same other then being wider built and feathered legs

And heres our origanal rooster
love.gif

I'll get a pic of my roo in about 6 days or a little sooner (yes, it'll take that long but itll be worht the wait, LOL)

ya I miss Gryphon.

Danny (the younger on) has a more blending color, but a wet appearance and is so shiny an beautiful.... I'll get pics ASAP

Found a more recent pic, its blurry, and he looks better now with bigger comb, cleaner feathers, etc. But just so you have an 'idea'

Back
Top Bottom