When should Ameraucana develop muff and beard

ncCHICKS

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
I bought a 7 week old, and both parents had muff and beard. Did I get jipped *all he has is Ameracaunas* or what, mine doesn't have either muff or beard

You would see them by now, I can tell at hatch when they dry if they will have muffs and beard. I have some clean faced also that I know were true ameraucana. Some just come out clean faced
hmm.png
but I don't think you should use this to breed if that is what you intend. I am just keeping mine for the pretty eggs, not to hatch her eggs because she is clean faced. If you post a pic we should be able to let you know if it is a proper ameraucana color.

I just have them for the joy of them. I have a dominique, RIR, and her. All hens, just eggs, no need for roos here
smile.png

Maybe I didn't look good,

DOES ANYONE HAVE PICS OF YOUNG ONES AROUND 6-10 WEEKS

Yep - definitely Ameraucanas.

The only thing I don't like about mine is they are real easter bunnies - they usually hide their eggs somewhere in the free range yard. I have noooo idea where & rarely get to eat blue eggs. Boo hoo! Blue is my favorite!!

No, Araucanas are rumpless/tailless

gotcha. I was mistaken. I dont have any yet, but i thought the ones in the pics didnt have much of a tail. However, after seeing closeups of Araucanas i see that they have abosolutely no tail whatsoever.
smile.png

I think Ameraucanas can display the rumpless characteristic. My neighbor has some that are rumpless.

My other pullets (Delaware and Faverolle) that were the same age as those in the pix had the same amount of tail feathers.

They all have regular old chicken-looking tail feathers now that they are older.

Back
Top Bottom