When should hatched chicks be taken from momma?

Ahalestorm

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
This is our our hen's second time hatching little peeps for us but this time we want to raise the chicks separate from our hen. The first set of chicks she hatched were raised by her and are healthy and doing very well! She is a great momma hen! The reason we made the decision to raise this set ourselves is mainly because the benefits of having tame and friendly chicks we can hold outweighs the work it will take to care for them. Granted,it was really nice to let her take care of everything with the first set but the closest they will get to us is to eat from our hands and that's it while our 6 hand raised chickens come flocking to us when we see them. I have a 6 and 2 year old so friendly chickens are a must around here.

As of now 2 of the 10 eggs have hatched with at least 2 more on their way out as I'm typing now. Should we remove the chicks one by one as they hatch or wait till they're all here and separate them from the hen all at once?

I would take them as soon as they're fluffed up. Best to wait until they're all hatched so as not to keep disturbing the hatching process.

However, you might want to leave the hen with at least one. She's going to be very upset if you take them all or she might continue to brood, which is very hard on them. If you don't mind leaving one or two for her, I would. You could always sell them when she's done with them if you don't want to keep them.

Good idea!! I will absolutely leave her with 1 or two. She was so good at taking care of her first two chicks! Plus this gives me ta day or two to get the brooder ready as this was a last minute decision. Thank you for your quick reply!

Remember the hen was a good mom. You could leave them with her and still handle and feed them by hand. You now have to control heat and all. The saying goes "Mom's know Best" Good Luck
Yes she was a very good mom but is hardly approachable and has been that way since she was given to us. She wouldn't let us get near her first two chicks at all so I'm certain the only way we will be able to handle these new peeps will be if we separate them from the get go.

Back
Top Bottom