When should I hear chirping?

porkchop48

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Malta, OH
I think my eggs are due to hatch on tuesday or wednesday. I am not sure of the actual date that she started sitting.

When should I start to hear chirping?

Once they internally pip, they'll start chirping. The air sac provides oxygen for awhile. After few hours,
sometimes up to 24 hours, they'll begin pipping.

Wishing you luck

Last edited:
Usually sometime in the two days prior to hatching but if you don't hear it, don't worry... My first three successful hatches, I didn't hear a single peep until they pipped!

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I often hear peeping just before they pip the egg. Very exciting to hear their little voice. It means they have internally pipped and are talking to mom. When under a broody I don't get to hear the peeping, rather I find a warm little fluff ball wedged up under the hen peeping away.

Good luck!

sorry to impose, but when will they pip because i have a broody on 2 eggs, one hatched earlier today at about 10, and heard cherping before it hatched, but the other egg, i hear and see nothing. It is day 21 today, so is the egg infertile?

Quote:
Impose away
big_smile.png

Tomorrow / wednesday should be day 21 for me.

She is still getting off the nest once a day and that worries me. But she is only off for a few minutes.

Quote:
I would wait and see what happens. Later on today, candle the egg and see what it looks like, and/or do a float
test if there isn't a significant sign the egg is alive while candling. It may be fertile, but just didn't make it.
It happens.

Candling Pictures
Float test

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it, she'll do her job. What happens, happens. Also, being you don't know if tomorrow
is day 21 or not, I've seen some hens 'lock down' on day 20. and some, not at all. If you lock her in the nest,
whatever you may use could possibly scare her, and she might accidently trample the eggs - trying to get out
of the nest (Happened to me before, It was terrible) Is she a first time broody? If so, she may not be the
best mommy/broody. I noticed when my hens go broody for the first time, they get off the eggs alot, etc. Just
wait it out, and offer her food and water in the nest.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree. Sometimes I hear peeping and sometimes they hatch when I haven't heard any peeping.

Back
Top Bottom