When should I hear chirping?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by porkchop48, Dec 11, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I think my eggs are due to hatch on tuesday or wednesday. I am not sure of the actual date that she started sitting.

When should I start to hear chirping?

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Once they internally pip, they'll start chirping. The air sac provides oxygen for awhile. After few hours,
    sometimes up to 24 hours, they'll begin pipping.

Wishing you luck

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Usually sometime in the two days prior to hatching but if you don't hear it, don't worry... My first three successful hatches, I didn't hear a single peep until they pipped!

Goddess [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I often hear peeping just before they pip the egg. Very exciting to hear their little voice. It means they have internally pipped and are talking to mom. When under a broody I don't get to hear the peeping, rather I find a warm little fluff ball wedged up under the hen peeping away.

Good luck!

5. LadiesMan017

LadiesMan017 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    sorry to impose, but when will they pip because i have a broody on 2 eggs, one hatched earlier today at about 10, and heard cherping before it hatched, but the other egg, i hear and see nothing. It is day 21 today, so is the egg infertile?

6. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    Quote:Impose away [​IMG]

Tomorrow / wednesday should be day 21 for me.

She is still getting off the nest once a day and that worries me. But she is only off for a few minutes.

7. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:I would wait and see what happens. Later on today, candle the egg and see what it looks like, and/or do a float
    test if there isn't a significant sign the egg is alive while candling. It may be fertile, but just didn't make it.
    It happens.

Candling Pictures
    Float test

Quote:I wouldn't worry about it, she'll do her job. What happens, happens. Also, being you don't know if tomorrow
    is day 21 or not, I've seen some hens 'lock down' on day 20. and some, not at all. If you lock her in the nest,
    whatever you may use could possibly scare her, and she might accidently trample the eggs - trying to get out
    of the nest (Happened to me before, It was terrible) Is she a first time broody? If so, she may not be the
    best mommy/broody. I noticed when my hens go broody for the first time, they get off the eggs alot, etc. Just
    wait it out, and offer her food and water in the nest.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  8. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I had two eggs my broody started sitting on at the same time and they hatched three days apart.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. Sometimes I hear peeping and sometimes they hatch when I haven't heard any peeping.

10. LoveNewChicks

LoveNewChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know,
    My Coop
    2 days before my chicks hatched i herd chirping, they are so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by