When should I move a chick from the incubator to under the hen?

Phantom_k9

Songster
Oct 29, 2019
North Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hi!
We just had another hatch, this time from an incubator! We want to move the new born to a silkie mother, but I am just curious as to how long I should wait? I know I officially need to wait "until it is dry" but since I really want to get the chick under her new mother tonight, I just wanted to see if anyone could give me some advice.

Hi!
We just had another hatch, this time from an incubator! We want to move the new born to a silkie mother, but I am just curious as to how long I should wait? I know I officially need to wait "until it is dry" but since I really want to get the chick under her new mother tonight, I just wanted to see if anyone could give me some advice.
Wait until ALL intended chicks are ready to go under at the same time is my best suggestion.. then I tuck them in shortly after dark so she can feel them moving and here them peeping get to know one another's voice, etc.. and she can start getting the clue that her hormones should start changing to take them out.

Adding chicks in staggered batches makes it more challenging to get later additions accepted by the dam. :fl

Wait until ALL intended chicks are ready to go under at the same time is my best suggestion.. then I tuck them in shortly after dark so she can feel them moving and here them peeping get to know one another's voice, etc.. and she can start getting the clue that her hormones should start changing to take them out.

Adding chicks in staggered batches makes it more challenging to get later additions accepted by the dam. :fl
Well, the other two eggs don't look like they are going to hatch (at least anytime soon) so I'll probably try to move the newborn in a few hours / whenever she seems dry enough to move. This hen already had an eg we moved under her hatch two days ago, but she still wants to sit on her other eggs. Hoping this works!

Back
Top Bottom