When should I put a safety hole in a call duck egg?

You just don't want them to have unsupervised access to any swimming water they cannot very easily get out of until they are fully feathered. The down doesn't waterproof as well as feathers and if they get too tired from swimming and waterlogged...
Drowned duckling.
With those temps though I think they would be fine outside. Probably don't even need the heat plate as long as they have some cover.
Agreed. I think they'd be just fine to go outside!

I use paint roller trays for water. 🤭

Last edited:
@Overo Mare @shawluvsbirds im about to make a new thread, but one of my snowy ducklings after I put them outside, is now not walking, and doesnt look so great, only thing I can think of is there are fire ants outside that she/she could have eaten/got bitten by

Hey! Its been a while, ive been really busy, but now that its summer I hope I will be able to learn more on backyard chickens, All 6 ducklings are doing great and I do believe it was a niacin deficiency that happened as I had it happen to another duck but less severe, but I started increasing the amount of nutritional yeast in their food and it hasnt happened since

The 2 slightly younger snowies are really getting some absolutely beautiful feathers in, and all of the other call ducks have really gotten basically all of their feathers! Its been hot, so I added a small swimming tray that they can easily get out of and not get stuck, or anything like that, but im planning on adding their pool permanently to their pond soon with some really good ramps to get out

"Pastel" still has the white, and it has me so confused, im thinking of naming her dizzy, as she spins in circles a lot, I am thinking she is a girl although she is the one im most confused about

I have named the penciled duck Captain (I am pretty sure boy) and the white duck Carl (I think a boy but not 100% sure) and Ocho, the big silver duck, I am certain is a girl as she has started quacking and making pretty loud calls, the snowies im not sure

they are going through a little bit of a scared phase right now as I only go out there around 3 times a day, but they have been really happy outside in their big coop

I just think its so cool how all 6 of these little ducks started out as an egg that I had to help hatch, I also think its adorable how the white duck and pastel duck have a really close bond and cry whenever I pick the other one up when they cant find each other, they seem really close, they also LOVE romaine lettuce

Attachments

• IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    547.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2230.JPG
    IMG_2230.JPG
    633 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2223.JPG
    IMG_2223.JPG
    926.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2217.JPG
    IMG_2217.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2208.JPG
    IMG_2208.JPG
    524.3 KB · Views: 2
Hey! Its been a while, ive been really busy, but now that its summer I hope I will be able to learn more on backyard chickens, All 6 ducklings are doing great and I do believe it was a niacin deficiency that happened as I had it happen to another duck but less severe, but I started increasing the amount of nutritional yeast in their food and it hasnt happened since

The 2 slightly younger snowies are really getting some absolutely beautiful feathers in, and all of the other call ducks have really gotten basically all of their feathers! Its been hot, so I added a small swimming tray that they can easily get out of and not get stuck, or anything like that, but im planning on adding their pool permanently to their pond soon with some really good ramps to get out

"Pastel" still has the white, and it has me so confused, im thinking of naming her dizzy, as she spins in circles a lot, I am thinking she is a girl although she is the one im most confused about

I have named the penciled duck Captain (I am pretty sure boy) and the white duck Carl (I think a boy but not 100% sure) and Ocho, the big silver duck, I am certain is a girl as she has started quacking and making pretty loud calls, the snowies im not sure

they are going through a little bit of a scared phase right now as I only go out there around 3 times a day, but they have been really happy outside in their big coop

I just think its so cool how all 6 of these little ducks started out as an egg that I had to help hatch, I also think its adorable how the white duck and pastel duck have a really close bond and cry whenever I pick the other one up when they cant find each other, they seem really close, they also LOVE romaine lettuce
Imma LUV LUV LUVIN that silver dux!
Bibbed pastel call duck? 🤣
Hmm. That looks like my chocolate bibbed to me. It just don't have a full bib. 🤷🏼‍♀️
It's not pastel that's for sure.

Imma LUV LUV LUVIN that silver dux!

Hmm. That looks like my chocolate bibbed to me. It just don't have a full bib. 🤷🏼‍♀️
It's not pastel that's for sure.
hmm, yeah its very possible or even likely she isnt a pastel and is a chocolate as the seller does have chocolate, although those pictures really dont show how dizzy is a pretty light brown, and the eggs were labeled, but there could definetely have been a mixup

I will take some better pictures later

Back
Top Bottom