When should I switch from alfalfa hay to Timothy hay for my rabbit

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
Hi I have a six week old rabbit and I’m gonna be getting her alfalfa hay at what age do I switch to Timothy hay thanks so much for your help

I would feed the alfalfa for a few months. Free choice pellets. 6 weeks is pretty young. Most shouldn't be sold until 8 weeks. Be careful switching the diet. Young bunnies are susceptible to digestive problems when stressed.

Ok so i just got some Timothy hay and put it in there will this upset her tommy I can’t get any of the other hay they gave me alitte but I had to get some kind of hay so will this be ok

Ok so i just got some Timothy hay and put it in there will this upset her tommy I can’t get any of the other hay they gave me alitte but I had to get some kind of hay so will this be ok
Generally alfalfa is recommended when they are young because it has higher protein, but if this is all you can get it's better than nothing. Mine get a grass hay mix, and do fine on it. Just make sure they are getting a good quality pellet. Watch for loose poops. They will let you know if her tummy isn't doing well.

Thanks do you think I switched the hay to fast the bunny is laying on her stomach does this mean she has gas I just put all of the floors I. Timothy hay did I go to fast

Rabbits lay on their stomachs. That is what they do. If you are worried about the hay, just don't feed it. The rabbit will get along just fine without it, but I can't imagine it would cause any problems. One thing that can cause problems is greens. Don't feed any until the rabbit is several months old.

Bunnies do lay on their stomach when they are relaxed and content. A sick bunny will sit hunched up and will often grind it's teeth in pain. Hay is good for keeping a bunnies digestive tract working well.

Rabbits will consume their own hair during grooming just like cats do. Unlike cats rabbits cannot throw up hairballs. Roughage like hay will keep things moving through a bunny and keep it from getting a blockage.

I agree, don't feed lettuce of any kind. It can cause deficiencies. During the warmer months I slowly give my bunnies some grass. A handful a day. Start small and slowly increase the amount.

I would feed it alfalfa hay until it is about 6 months old. However, if you run out of the alfalfa slightly before then, or the amount you get lasts longer, that is okay. It is only a recommendation to feed alfalfa hay to young rabbits and then timothy hay. I personally (and most people I know) don't even regularly feed hay to rabbits; they instead eat pellets and get hay occasionally when they're stressed out or have digestive problems. Since your rabbit is young and stressed, I would definitely feed her some hay of some type, though.

Pressing the stomach to the ground can be a sign of gas. With that said, young rabbits seem to do it fairly often even when they're gas-free and healthy. I would just keep monitoring her and offering unlimited hay.

Back
Top Bottom