When should I turn the lamp off?

SassyKat6181

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Western Mass
The chicks are 5 1/2 weeks and have been in the coop for 2 weeks. Our weather has been crazy - typical for New England. Last night was 22 and 60 this afternoon. This weeks temps look to be 50-60 during the day and 30-40 at night. I have the heat lamp in the coop about 24" off the ground. During the day they run around and go under it if they are cold and they sleep under it all night. Should I be weaning them off the lamp, or should I leave it and let them regulate? I have Barred Rocks and Black Sexlink. They are pretty well feathered, except for a few around the neck area. Thanks!

Wean them off of it. My chicks are only about a week to a week and a half older than yours, and I'm in New England as well. They've been off the heat lamp for about a week. Once they are fully feathered and acclimated, they don't need it.

Quote:
Thanks. This is my first time with chicks and I wasn't sure about the lamp. I know I hate being cold, and didn't want them to be.

I know this might be against chicken religion but I have never turn on the lamp, but the nights don't really get that cold here, maybe into the low 60's.

Back
Top Bottom