When should my 5 little girls join my 1 big girl?

staceyl

Songster
10 Years
Jul 2, 2009
I know the convential wisdom is not to try to put new chickens in a flock until they are pretty much full sized. But my situation is a little unique. Due to a hawk issue and a very small starting flock, I'm left with only one adult. So it seems to me like I'm not so much putting my little ones into an existing flock, as putting my BIG on into an existing immature flock. So I'm a little afraid that the littles ones may actually pick on the big one. In that case it seems like it would be better to join them when they are a bit smallish, so that she can hold her own against them.
I know they aren't ready to go out yet, the smallest ones are only 4 weeks old, but I'm wondering what people thought the right time would be? I'm sort of concerned my big girl is getting lonely. She is spending a lot of just hanging out in the nest box and I'm 99% sure she isn't broody.
Stacey

I would start off with just one and see what happens. I would choose one in the middle of the pecking order and once they are getting along go down the pecking order. Put the most aggressive hen in last. This is how i acclimate new horses together and ususally works pretty well.

Thanks Equine! I think that is a good idea. How long should I wait in between adding chicks? If I wait too long will they forget that they are already a flock and have re-attached themselves to the "new" flock?
My little ones are actually in 2 groups - one that is about 3 weeks older than the other. So it would be nice if I didn't have to wait for the very smallest ones to be big enough before I put some outside.
On the other hand, I think my biggest girl is also the top of the pecking order, so she will have to go in last, huh?

Back
Top Bottom