When should we start seeing feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiemomeredith, Apr 30, 2011.

1. chickiemomeredith

chickiemomeredith Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Are my babies growing enough?

2. kristamarie

kristamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    My 1 day olds had 2 or 3 tiny wing feathers poking out when we got them, within 1 week we saw more wing feathersand tail feathers starting. within 2 weeks they had full wings and pin feathers coming in around their necks. They are now 3 weeks, and only have chick fuzz on their heads, bellies and bums.

3. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    We got Barred Rocks and Black Australorps born 4/10 and they are feathering out at vastly different rates. The roosters seem to be developing faster in both breeds, and their little combs are starting. The rocks seemed to feather and grow in their body much faster, while the 'lorps seem to just be growing necks, lol ! I was beginning to think they would never get their wings, and lo and behold, suddenly tonight the 'lorps have full blown wings - I swear they weren't feathered this morning! What is freaking me out is the bald spots where the fuzz is gone, but the feathers just aren't there yet - I've been calling one of my 'lorp roos a necked neck [​IMG]

4. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    All of mine had the start of wing feathers at 3 days when I got them. They have all developed at different rates now.

5. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Some breeds feather faster than others, but the general rule of thumb is that wing feathers begin to show in week 1. What do you have and how old are they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by