When there isn't money for nursery plants, where do you get your plants from instead?

I have found it nearly impossible to root geraniums in a glass of water, but they do root readily in potting soil. same with citronella.
Ha, that's funny! I can't help but root them in water. I find that when I'm cutting these things back, I am unable to just throw the cuttings away. Compost them, ANYTHING!... but, no, I have to save them all and I put them in a glass of water on my kitchen windowsill and within what seems like minutes, they have roots!
I run into this situation with orchids too. I have 21 at the moment, and they keep having babies. These I cant give away as folks are afraid of killing them. I have tried to explain how incredibly easy they are, just take a look at my window bays, but no one seems to listen... sigh!!! :idunno

Yes, it's hard for me to throw any plant material away. I have a Pluot seed sitting on the edge of my counter. I'm debating how to get the remainder of the fruit that is clinging to the pit off. Thinking about setting it on top of an ant hill for a few days. With a wire screen over it so the squirrels or birds don't steal it. Then, I'll give it some heat/cold treatment and try to germinate it next spring. Poor hubby. He hesitates to throw any vegetable matter away. "You saving this?" "Yes, that's going to the compost out back." "What about this." "That's for the chickens." "And this?" "Lots of potassium in that banana peel. That should go under the roses." "Well, can I throw this away?" Holds up a paper towel that I wiped the cast iron with. "Of course, but bury it deep, b/c the dog will eat it if you don't."

One of my favorite way of propagating flowers for nice splashes of color around the yard: I bring in a few geraniums or cuttings from them in the fall. those plants grow in my 2 LR S facing windows all winter, giving me some nice color. Then, about the time I am thinking about starting pepper seedlings, I pull some of the little tufts of leaves from the sides of the stems, and cut the stems back severely. I find that those little tufts on the sides of the stems (consisting of a couple of leaves and a bud which will form a new branch) root and start new growth EXTREMELY fast. I can get as many as 15 new plants from each geranium. And, of course, the original plant thanks me by putting on a new flush of bushy growth and bloom. The cuttings are immediately potted in Pro mix. By the time it's ready to plant stuff outside, I'm searching high and low for places to put all of my geraniums.

Have you done this with any citronella plants? They are in the geranium family and they are so amazing. I had such a beautiful and fragrant specimen last year and wanted to winter it over but with 2 little girls i just got busy and forgot to bring it in before the first frost and i lost it.

I should totally try it this year!

Yes, it's hard for me to throw any plant material away. I have a Pluot seed sitting on the edge of my counter. I'm debating how to get the remainder of the fruit that is clinging to the pit off. Thinking about setting it on top of an ant hill for a few days. With a wire screen over it so the squirrels or birds don't steal it. Then, I'll give it some heat/cold treatment and try to germinate it next spring. Poor hubby. He hesitates to throw any vegetable matter away. "You saving this?" "Yes, that's going to the compost out back." "What about this." "That's for the chickens." "And this?" "Lots of potassium in that banana peel. That should go under the roses." "Well, can I throw this away?" Holds up a paper towel that I wiped the cast iron with. "Of course, but bury it deep, b/c the dog will eat it if you don't."
:yuckyuck
Yes, they root just like geraniums. I have a pathetic looking specimen that is 3 years old now. I really need to get some cuttings from it, then try to rejuvenate the base of the plant. I like to dry the leaves and put some in my nest boxes. (along with mint, lemon balm, and other aromatics.)
What a great idea with the scented geraniums! I will do this! I already throw the mint and the lavender cuttings in but I dont have any lemon balm here. I will try to transplant some from our other property and see how it does up here in the hills.

That's funny, just this year I am trying to root some geraniums in a vase then stuck them in some dirt to see how they will do. I was dead heading a pot of them at a playground (anyone else this compulsive about plants?) and a couple stems came with the old flower heads, so... Surprise, surprise... I couldn't waste them!
I can relate to the waste conundrum... Sometimes when it's all piling up I have to let something's go in the actual trash, gasp.

My patch of flowers planted in town compost is doing ok this summer. Ive been able to give many away and also sold two bunches, so almost half way to making back what I spent on seeds. I am concerned of what my neighbors think of my over grown lot. I'm a corner lot so lots of neighbors get to look at it. Mostly trimmed yards, then there's me. The hippie on the corner... It's only a 8,000 sq ft lot... So definitely leaning towards unconventional. But secretly, I think I may have some sympathizers... Just not sure if they are my immediate neighbors.

This is something I'm starting to think about as we hit the peak of summer here... Winter has been super tough lately and last year in mid February I felt myself shutting down until I bought some seeds to sprout. I am wondering how I can fight off the blues during non-growing season. I would be very curious to hear what other gardeners do in winter for this, I'm thinking of starting a new thread.

That's the end of my stream of consciousness. :duc

This is something I'm starting to think about as we hit the peak of summer here... Winter has been super tough lately and last year in mid February I felt myself shutting down until I bought some seeds to sprout. I am wondering how I can fight off the blues during non-growing season. I would be very curious to hear what other gardeners do in winter for this, I'm thinking of starting a new thread.
Where are you located? What zone? Depending on how cold you get, there are some things to think about when winter hits. If you like to garden, and I assume you do, read Eliot Colemans 4 season Harvest, or the Winter Harvest Handbook. Lots and lots of great info in either book. Yes, start a new thread. Having company when you are feeling wintery and grey can be a super boost. I'll join!

Privot roots very readily from cuttings. I have rooted probably 15 because I didn’t want to throw the cuttings away. The cuttings that I don’t set for rooting go into compost. I wish some of the other plants that I really like would root as readily as the privot. That would make propagating rhododendrons, azaleas, gold thread cypress, hydrangeas, box woods, gold dust aucuba, and peony bushes a breeze.

Where are you located? What zone? Depending on how cold you get, there are some things to think about when winter hits. If you like to garden, and I assume you do, read Eliot Colemans 4 season Harvest, or the Winter Harvest Handbook. Lots and lots of great info in either book. Yes, start a new thread. Having company when you are feeling wintery and grey can be a super boost. I'll join!

I'm located in Northeast US, zone 6. We had snow til mid April this year, like many others, but we dont normally have it that late. We do go a long long time without leaves on the trees, it's something like six months.
Thank you for bringing up winter gardening. I picked up a book at the library on it late last winter (not either that you mentioned) and that was the first introduction to winter gardening I have had. I have to remind myself not everything has to happen in the spring and summer. Ok, new thread... Winter gardening, and how to beat Gardener's Winter Blues. Ha, I just made that up.

Back
Top Bottom