When to add a roost

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by epona4, Dec 16, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My "kids" are 3 weeks old today. When should I add a branch for them to practice roosting on? One stood on the waterer a bit ago and jumped down.

I need a much larger brooder!

2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I would add a branch now....give them something to do...they'll be funny to watch...Good luck !
    Edit to note...I had put my origonally six babies in a large wire dog crate that was open at the bottom .I placed tons of newspapers under the cage...so cleaning was a breeze....fold up the newspaper and throw away...This all happened at the end of spring so it was warmer here....you could always hang a heat light....hope that helps...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    you can put it in anytime

my favorite memories are of all my girls sleeping on the roost with their heads hanging straight down until they were almost touching the brooder cage bottom. the roost was only about 3-4 inches off the deck.

4. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I put roosts in mine from day one. There are lower and higher ones.

5. Dustoff79

Dustoff79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    I added a 2 bar roost at about a week old. I just used scrap 2x4s as stands and attached a 1x2 between (as roost) I had one level at 4" and the second at 8".

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I got mine as 2 week olds and they kept trying to "roost" on the feeder and waterer, so I put a branch in then and they used it. Its never to early.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I usually give chicks a tiny roost the first week. Less then 6 inches off the ground. Gives them something else to do and poop on.

8. joshplus10

joshplus10 Out Of The Brooder

Oh oh! It seems that I've been negligent. My first chickens were 6 weeks old before I hung a roost.

They are now 10 weeks old and I rarely see them use it. Perhaps three feet is too high? Perhaps an inch in a half in diameter is too narrow? Perhaps it should be flat, square, or rectangular rather than round?

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Gosh we gave them little popsickle sticks from day one....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by