When to add chicks.

I had 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Speckled Sussex. The 2 Easter Eggers are both doing really well - the one Speckled Sussex as a bigger bird has some arthritis but otherwise is healthy. The Buffs both died from organ failure under different circumstances. One black australorp was the first to go, she prolapsed and always just had a laundry list of problems. The other made it to a 4 and was otherwise healthy. The Barred Rocks both died of laying issues. And the other Speckled Sussex was a lifelong crop issue case, she made it to 5.
Beautiful flock. Those are some of my favorite breeds! Awesome that 4 are still kicking! ❤️

As for broody hens and roosters.... just let her set, and slip live chicks under her. You can then get pullet chicks (with just a few possible roosters) rather than 50%+ roosters of hatching eggs. Just an enabler, you know.

But really, chicken math has to work both ways. Some birds will do just fine with a tighter confinement, some birds won't. Be aware of your flock. I keep a flock, birds come in and birds go out of the flock, but I like a peaceful flock.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom