When to allow access to nest boxes?

kirak74

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2017
Our chicks are 2 months old. We currently have the nesting boxes closed off because they were sleeping (and, of course, pooping) in them. When should we open them back up? Thanks!

When their combs become bright red and they start to crouch when you approach, laying in near. I'd open the boxes then.

Is the roosting bar higher than the nesting boxes? They like to roost/sleep at the highest point, if the nesting boxes are higher than the roost, they will sleep there.

If they are alone in the coop, I would leave the nesting boxes open for if theyfeel safe in there then I'll just let them stay there because they should always have a place where they feel safe in the coop, especially when they're alone and they're new. But chickens start laying a six months and since there are two months, they're not even going to start laying anytime soon, but I would just leave them open but really just depends .

I would close them off because there's no reason for them being in there other than to lay, especially at 2 mos old. No reason to let them develop bad habits of sleeping in there, pooping in there.

Back
Top Bottom