1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to butcher Cornish-X meaties????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kkay1344021, Jun 27, 2011.

1. kkay1344021

kkay1344021 New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    Ok.... I have heard so much conflicting info on age and weight to butcher my meaties that I am just just plain confused now. So I guess my question is how much should my Cornish-X meaties wiegh or how old should they be b4 I butcher them? Oh yeah they are all free range and I give them free choice to store bought premixed food during most of the daylight hours.

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    You can do them anytime. It depends on how big/small you want them. To get an idea of butchered weight, subtract 1/3 of their live weight. Most of us process between 6-9 weeks, getting a 4-6 pound dressed bird.

3. Bluff Country Chicken

Bluff Country Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    SE MN
    I butchered my last batch of Cornish Xs at exactly 7 weeks and my dressed average weight was 5.3 pounds. I use a digital postage scale to weigh. I suppose there's a better way, but you could weigh your chickens live (maybe in a box on scale)and then figure 75% of that as dressed. I'm interested to see what others say the best harvest weight is.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    4 weeks for a cornish game hen under 2 pounds, or any time after 6 weeks for a regular fryer or roaster.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:x2

6. kkay1344021

kkay1344021 New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    [​IMG] Thanks sooo much for the info. All of the people on here are so nice and helpful... I really appreciate all of the feedback and all people who care enough to help out a fellow chicken lover. I have 22 meaties and they're about 5 weeks old but I have no idea how much they weigh. Maybe I'll bring them in the house today and weigh them. Thanks again.

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:CX are a little self conscious about their weight (they know they're fatties), so you might have to put them in a box to get them to stand still to get an accurate weight.

8. Bluff Country Chicken

Bluff Country Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    SE MN
    I agree with the box...take things nice and slow. The dark box (close the top) provides a calming environment. Fyi...I had a death at 5 weeks and weighed the bird at 3 pounds. We butchered a few at 6 weeks and they dressed out right at 4 pounds.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    We process ours at 8 wks and we will have 9 lb birds. [​IMG]

10. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I have a field covered in Chickweed. Now I know the pullets love it and eat lots of greens, would the meat birds do the same walking in the field eating? I'm thinking about 50 meaties and they could help clear that field of the weeds if it'd work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by