When to butcher Cornish-X meaties????

kkay1344021

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
Ok.... I have heard so much conflicting info on age and weight to butcher my meaties that I am just just plain confused now. So I guess my question is how much should my Cornish-X meaties wiegh or how old should they be b4 I butcher them? Oh yeah they are all free range and I give them free choice to store bought premixed food during most of the daylight hours.

You can do them anytime. It depends on how big/small you want them. To get an idea of butchered weight, subtract 1/3 of their live weight. Most of us process between 6-9 weeks, getting a 4-6 pound dressed bird.

I butchered my last batch of Cornish Xs at exactly 7 weeks and my dressed average weight was 5.3 pounds. I use a digital postage scale to weigh. I suppose there's a better way, but you could weigh your chickens live (maybe in a box on scale)and then figure 75% of that as dressed. I'm interested to see what others say the best harvest weight is.

smile.png
Thanks sooo much for the info. All of the people on here are so nice and helpful... I really appreciate all of the feedback and all people who care enough to help out a fellow chicken lover. I have 22 meaties and they're about 5 weeks old but I have no idea how much they weigh. Maybe I'll bring them in the house today and weigh them. Thanks again.

I agree with the box...take things nice and slow. The dark box (close the top) provides a calming environment. Fyi...I had a death at 5 weeks and weighed the bird at 3 pounds. We butchered a few at 6 weeks and they dressed out right at 4 pounds.

I have a field covered in Chickweed. Now I know the pullets love it and eat lots of greens, would the meat birds do the same walking in the field eating? I'm thinking about 50 meaties and they could help clear that field of the weeds if it'd work.

Back
Top Bottom