when to change to grower feed?

HSerChickLady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
upstate NY
Last year i changed them over at 8 weeks per the package recommendations. I had planned to do that this year but i'll be in the midst of a bag of feed so now i'm not sure what to do. My pullet chicks turned 5 weeks yesterday and have been eating Purina Start&Grow medicated. It's taken them all this time to get through a 50 lb bag so i know they'll never get through another 50 lb bag within the next 2-3 weeks. All my books say to switch them to grower rations at 6 weeks which is in a few days. Should i just do another bag of starter and switch them when they get done with it, or should i go ahead and switch them to grower now? I don't want them on the higher protein levels past the 8 week mark if i can possibly help it. I prefer them to have the lower protein so they grow slower. I am just not sure if this week is too early to switch them to grower ration?

And do you think they can handle pellets at this age? The grower pellets i had planned to use are pretty big-bigger than the Purina pellets my hens have had in the past and much bigger than the starter crumbles they've been eating. The pellets have been ok for my ducklings but they're much larger than my pullet chicks are.

Last edited:
I put the last of my starter feed in their feeder this morning. Is it ok to get the grower this afternoon and start adding it to the feeder today?

Thanks. I'll grab grower feed this afternoon. I think i'll go with crumbles if i can find them. I really think these pellets are too large for them still.

Back
Top Bottom