When to combine chicks with adult hens

Do you think I should put the in a large dog cage and set them in the middle of the run? For a little while

This is basically what I've done with mine, and it seems to have worked well for me. When the chicks were about 5 weeks old, I put a large cage in the center of the run and they've been there for about three weeks now, simply because I don't want them eating the layer food just yet. They've mingled with the older chickens off and on and they don't pay much attention to them (although one of them is convinced they're getting something special at treat time).

I didn't push mine and they merged around 12 weeks (although they started visiting the big run at 2 weeks).
Did they have free access to the run from 2 weeks old?

I couldn’t integrate them because my RIR roo is a bully. He atttacks anything he doesn’t consider his flock, 30lb dog, baby chicks, new chickens... me
Good reasons to get rid of him.

simply because I don't want them eating the layer food just yet.
Many folks with multi aged and gender flocks feed an 'all flock' type feed and offer oyster shell for the layers in a separate container. The higher protein helps balance out the 'treats' many like to feed.

No, unfortunately the coop was built before discovering how much easier integration can be. They had shared range time and returned to their separate quarters after interaction. Once the littles started going in the coop to explore rather than just the run, I pushed a little by shutting them in with the adults and observing. Once they seemed stressed, I'd open the door a crack and let them run "home". I only had to do that a couple of times, though, before they worked out how to use the run roosts for a bit of quiet time.

Excellent idea...using cardboard will allow you to more easily adjust the size of the holes.
Start small with the holes, it's amazing how small a hole an adult bird can get thru.

You are not kidding! I've had an adult buff orpington find her way through a door that my 6 week olds struggle to get through. Of course, Princess Fluffy-Butt is the "Large and In-Charge" girl...she's quite determined. :D

Good reasons to get rid of him.

Many folks with multi aged and gender flocks feed an 'all flock' type feed and offer oyster shell for the layers in a separate container. The higher protein helps balance out the 'treats' many like to feed.

We tried to find him a home. However, due to his nature no one wants him. Sadly, his fate is probably going to be dinner.

Yep, I plan to do this too, just waiting until the rest of the layer feed is used up so it doesn't go to waste.

@junkman56, how are things progressing?
not to good, the chicks stay on their side of the fenced run and their side of the fenced coop. I have been trying to lure them into the big side of the run with crumbles. some of them would come through the panic doors in the run, and then they would try to get back to their side quickly. some of the hens chase after the ones that do make it into the run. yesterday evening I looked out, I had the door closed for the chicks to get out to their run, next thing I know they were all in the covered / enclosed run of the hens, all but one made it back in the coop and through the panic door to their side, I ended up going out and catching the one and showed him how to get inside.
so it all boils down to I don't think things are going to good. they are very scared of the big girls.

Back
Top Bottom