When to cull eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by j'schicks, Oct 2, 2010.

1. j'schicks

j'schicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Sonoma
    I put 14 eggs in the bator a week ago today. I candled and only 5 of them have veins and signs of development, the other 9 are clear. Is there any hope for this eggs? Is it possible that these eggs are just behind or something? At what point do I toss them?

I'm super bummed about this percentage by the way. I had better luck with my TJ eggs [​IMG]

2. SilkiePuff

SilkiePuff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    j'schicks :

I put 14 eggs in the bator a week ago today. I candled and only 5 of them have veins and signs of development, the other 9 are clear. Is there any hope for this eggs? Is it possible that these eggs are just behind or something? At what point do I toss them?

I'm super bummed about this percentage by the way. I had better luck with my TJ eggs [​IMG]

I had the same thing I candled my 10 eggs at 10 days only 5 were developing and 5 were clear.. I culled them right away.. if they don't develop 9 out of 10 times they won't and the longer they stay in the more bacteria can grow in them and cause the eggs to explode then you will have a mess to clean up.. more then likely they weren't fertile.​

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Personally, I will candle at 7 days, and any that are still clear I will put a "?" on to check in another week. I've been fooled before, so as long as they're not stinky or weeping, I leave them in. But if you candle at day 14 and they're clear?... toss 'em. [​IMG]

4. j'schicks

j'schicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Sonoma
    Thanks! I'll keep them another week with my fingers crossed.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My approach is to re-candle in 48 hours any that do not look clear. At this next candling I will throw out any that still are clear, but re-candle in a further 48 hours any that are dubious,

Sandie

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I don't throw out any that don't small until day 18 an then sometimes I just leave them then. Bacteria can get in to any egg. Leaving clears in the incubator don't cause any more of a threat than leaving the growing eggs in there. Just smell the incubator a lot in general.
    I have a big incubator though so running out of room is not an issue.

7. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    i dont candle until day 10. if they are light brown or white eggs, and they are clear, then i toss them, but if they are colored eggs, i dont do anything to them because i've missed veins before and then when i've cracked to see if they were fertile, i find a baby. so i always leave green and dark brown eggs in.

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I'm on my first hatch I candled at 5 7 and 10 days. The ones that were clear except for a green egg and that was hard to see through I tossed at day 10. When I cracked them they were just eggs, nothing in them.

9. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I leave them in unless that bad dead smell starts to appear then I go searching. I put like 18 in I got from a lady up the street her broody was sitting on them and she did not want any chicks right now. so she said I could have them. last night at lock down I found 2 1 of them clearley only had the veins and that's it the other one was questionable so I put it back in. can't wait till they start to pip. I had a massive s are at about day 10 the thermostat quite working at night they were at about 70 for 10 hrs. but the rest of them I see movement. !

10. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I don't candle at all anymore lol. If it smells bad or oozes I throw it out. Otherwise, they all go in lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by