When to cull old hens??

I'm in the eggs and pets only category. I don't name them. I was taught you don't name things you'll lose cause it makes it harder when you do (just me personally).. I definitely look forward to seeing them and enjoy their antics and personalities daily. I keep my flock until they die, 99.9% of the time it's death from predators. I have had 1 hen die in the sunny spot in the yard where they all liked to go. She lived a long stress free life and I was ok finding her in that sunny spot and knowing she died peacefully. I have 3 chickens that don't lay and have not for years, but I just keep adding to my flock. Also, I'll add that I free range my chickens, so a lot less mess and half the time they're out foraging for food.. also this increases their chances to predators. It's a personal choice and totally up to you how long you keep them :)

Last edited:
I am not in it as a business or of necessity for survival, just for the enjoyment of the animals. That said my wife is not going to eat any birds she gets acquainted with. So I will keep the original flock for as long as they are in good health. Maybe seven years if I start running out of room.
Plan to occasionally let a broody hen hatch a clutch and probably butcher all or most of them.

We got ours for pest control and I wanted a variety of colors and sizes. Hubby is the only one that eats eggs and that is only twice a week. I do not eat eggs but occassionaly use in cooking. Mine are all pets and I only had to put down one roo as he was way too vicious to keep and that was after a year and half of his attacks. I kept all my roo babes as they are eye candy and we have 8 gorgeous fellows that have good attitudes. My chooks will live out their life span without worry barring illness etc. They earned it because of the enjoyment I get from them.

My 'Chicken Math' is hatch and slaughter every year,
for optimal egg production and winter space limits.

All cockerels go before 16 weeks,
older hens go before molt
(hopefully, cause those pin feather are a bear!).
When do they molt and get pin feathers?

In that case, if it were me... If you really want some chicks out of them, I would get something to add to their water like Nutri-Drench or there's a Rooster Booster product that's usually available in stores, for added vitamins and minerals. Also, get yourself a kitchen scale that weighs in grams and weigh the older girls' eggs. If they're much over 65 grams, they're going to give you trouble and I'd quit trying.
Can you please say more about this? I’m not sure which eggs are best put under a broody, and how does the weight of the egg affect hatching? Thank you in advance.

Actually, yes, at high pressure(15psi) that's pretty close...can depend on the type of bean.

I cook old hens for about an hour, then save aside all the meat and cook the rest for another 2-3 hours for killer bone broth.

The key to harvesting your own layer birds is to rest the cleaned carcass in the fridge for 2-3-4 days...the older the bird, the longer you rest them. It makes huge difference.
Many people are put off from eating layer birds, or even homegrown meat birds, because they don't understand the need to rest the carcass. An unrested bird is unchewable, IMO.
Yum that sounds good! Usually when I do a pork roast or similar cut I do about an hour. The recipe for the cooker says 20 min...it might be DONE but it isn't succulent. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom