When to cull old hens??

I am not in it as a business or of necessity for survival, just for the enjoyment of the animals. That said my wife is not going to eat any birds she gets acquainted with. So I will keep the original flock for as long as they are in good health. Maybe seven years if I start running out of room.
Plan to occasionally let a broody hen hatch a clutch and probably butcher all or most of them.

Regarding hatching, birds past their prime, even on "good feed" arent going to be producing the best eggs for hatching
mine are part of the family, eggs are gifts. I have 4 6 month old hens. I get four eggs a day. I have 4Guineas 2 male, 2 female no eggs yet. Mine are spoiled rotten. They all follow my service dog whenever we are our. They " guard" her (true story). Follow her around and try to groom her. We are a happy family

We got ours for pest control and I wanted a variety of colors and sizes. Hubby is the only one that eats eggs and that is only twice a week. I do not eat eggs but occassionaly use in cooking. Mine are all pets and I only had to put down one roo as he was way too vicious to keep and that was after a year and half of his attacks. I kept all my roo babes as they are eye candy and we have 8 gorgeous fellows that have good attitudes. My chooks will live out their life span without worry barring illness etc. They earned it because of the enjoyment I get from them.

We got ours for pest control and I wanted a variety of colors and sizes. Hubby is the only one that eats eggs and that is only twice a week. I do not eat eggs but occassionaly use in cooking. Mine are all pets and I only had to put down one roo as he was way too vicious to keep and that was after a year and half of his attacks. I kept all my roo babes as they are eye candy and we have 8 gorgeous fellows that have good attitudes. My chooks will live out their life span without worry barring illness etc. They earned it because of the enjoyment I get from them.
I enjoy fighting with my big bad rooster as much as playing catch and/or tug o war with my pup...l

My 'Chicken Math' is hatch and slaughter every year,
for optimal egg production and winter space limits.

All cockerels go before 16 weeks,
older hens go before molt
(hopefully, cause those pin feather are a bear!).
When do they molt and get pin feathers?

Back
Top Bottom