When to cull old hens??

Pics
they have provided food for you in the form of eggs almost their whole life; it would be pretty ungrateful to kill them as soon as they stop! they have laid eggs for you (not an easy thing; that's like having a baby every day), and as soon as they stop, you kill them? be grateful for what they have done for you!

Hey, you: don't get triggered over this comment. Live and let live.

they have provided food for you in the form of eggs almost their whole life; it would be pretty ungrateful to kill them as soon as they stop! they have laid eggs for you (not an easy thing; that's like having a baby every day), and as soon as they stop, you kill them? be grateful for what they have done for you!

Hey, you: don't get triggered over this comment. Live and let live.
I'm confused. Did you write this whole post or were you telling whoever wrote that to "live and let live'?

I just wanted to say here that my chickens are a part-time job for me. I am having to sell chicks and eggs to help save up for college, plus work another job and go to school. Mind you I am a 17 year old who's grandparents bought me my first flock of 6 two years ago. I have not had chickens for long, but I have been trying to balance the feed I put in my chickens. I can not afford to put more money that I do not have into my chickens.
Hey...I think you sound like you're doing a great job! In the end, it's totally up to you. If you are happy with your decision and you feel good about yourself when you look in the mirror - that's supposed to be the 'final' test to determine if what you're doing is the right thing for you. At 17, I was pretty dumb, and I certainly wasn't raising or selling chickens - so you have my admiration. You go, girl!!! :clap

I have my one flock and I will never have another. My chickens were my retirement gift to myself and at almost 68, and in relatively good health if you don't count the well-controlled chronic leukemia, I hope to go out when the last chicken does! (So, I'm trying to take very good care of them!)

Hehe maybe I'm a softie here (I didn't read all of the comments, there must be others like me...), but I don't cull my flock. I started my flock when I was a Sophomore in High School with the intent of culling for egg production. Nine years later, I still have one of my original three girls, Juliette are Barred Rock. I've got 15 girls and a rooster, and I think that I counted the other day that over the years I've lost about 4 to predators, 4 to various illness, and 2 to being roosters. That's over a span of 9 years. Nature has done the culling for me. I've just ordered 4 more girls to add some young blood.

Some people have chickens and balance the costs. Some people spend significantly more than they save. Our eggs are the best in the world, and in thanks, my girls can live for as long as they want. Do what feels best to you, not what you think is expected! If your goal is to lower costs, cull... but know that not everyone goes that route.

When I got started, I got a momma and three chicks. Out of the chicks there was one hen and two cockerels. I culled the to cockerels shortly after they started crowing.

In my particular area, the neighbors will put up with a dog that yaps all night because we have to. On the other hand they will gladly call animal control for a rooster that crows in the morning. The young roos went to freezer camp.

After the feral chickens, I picked up four mutt hens from a local feed store. They laid smaller eggs but were regular producers.

Other than the roosters, the dog and the flock have done the rest of the culling around here. I still have the feral momma and one of the feed store girls. They take the winter off and have just started laying again this month. There is nothing like the joy of eating food produced in your own backyard!

Count me in the "pets, not livestock" camp. Over 55, unload my own feed and hay, able to drive a tractor ;) My BA, Jolene, will be 9 years young in May (fingers crossed:fl) and is the last of my original flock of four, day-old BA chicks. Jolene is my buddy. My other girls (all with names) range in age from 6 down to 2 years young. Unfortunately, predators and health issues have taken their toll on my flock over the years, with only one hen passing due to what I believe was "old age". When my hens go to the Rainbow Bridge, they are buried under an oak tree, each with her own engraved memorial stone. Fortunately, I'm not limited by finances or space! If I had been, I would not have decided to have horses or even chickens, believing that financial responsibility goes hand-in-hand with good critter stewardship. Your mileage may vary.

I'm in the eggs and pets only category. I don't name them. I was taught you don't name things you'll lose cause it makes it harder when you do (just me personally).. I definitely look forward to seeing them and enjoy their antics and personalities daily. I keep my flock until they die, 99.9% of the time it's death from predators. I have had 1 hen die in the sunny spot in the yard where they all liked to go. She lived a long stress free life and I was ok finding her in that sunny spot and knowing she died peacefully. I have 3 chickens that don't lay and have not for years, but I just keep adding to my flock. Also, I'll add that I free range my chickens, so a lot less mess and half the time they're out foraging for food.. also this increases their chances to predators. It's a personal choice and totally up to you how long you keep them :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom