When to cull old hens??

It all goes back to "are chickens pets or livestock?" If they're livestock, the chicken keeper is going to practice husbandry that works best for their operation. If you have unlimited funds or space and don't need to cull, great. When one is trying to manage their space, time, money and flock efficiently, one sometimes has to make decisions about who to keep and who not to keep. It's a matter of economics. If they're pets, you just keep them all.

Mine are livestock. I do cull when laying slows dramatically or stops. You can tell who's laying by checking vents and pelvic bones. I also look at combs and wattles to let me know who's laying. Know your flock, and you'll know who's laying.

I have over 80 hens and get between 40 - 50 eggs a day. How in the world would I know who is freeloading? I don't have a game cam in the coop but have thought about it. Most of my hens are at least one to two years old, with a few being 3. They all seem to be healthy and I see most in the boxes, but there are just too many to know. I only cull roosters when I get too many. One of my best broody hens is over three and I don't care if she still lays...she hatches every spring for me and is a great mother. We have put a few roosters in the soup pot, and had to create a new recipe: Tough old bird and wild rice soup...very tasty, but we did have to cook that bird a long time.

My oldest is 5 . She does not eat nearly as much as she used to because she only lays once in awhile. She is very musical and sweet, and helps with the new girls as I add them. She is the last of my original 4. I had to rehome 1 for meanness and 1 for nonstop broody. Her flock mate passed away suddenly a few month ago, so she has 3 new friends now. But I don't raise them for meat, just eggs.

I have never had to cull a bird for age. I have no problem culling roosters. I have a major hawk problem so any chickens that aren’t in breeding pens free range and many are picked off throughout the year. They definitely seem happier free ranging so it is hard for me to make the decision to keep them penned if they are just my personal egg chickens. Also I don’t have to spend any money on feed during the summer and minimal money on fodder seed during the winter.

. Plus how the hell do you know who isn’t laying?
@aart has a link to the buttcheck technique, I have never actually done the butt check...

Gary
It's pretty easy to assess for production.....vent condition, comb condition, overall appearance, eye ring/beak/legs, etc.

I'm a part of the pets not livestock group. Egg production isn't what I'm keeping them for so it's a little pointless getting rid of them. I already know I would have to cull if needed and that's something I've come to terms with.

Money for food isn't too bad, I think I'm spending £7-£12 a month because my flock is so small (4 bantams, 1 ISA brown). So it's not really freeloading if it's an hours wage a month to keep them happy/fed and eggs is a bonus over company in the garden.

. Plus how the hell do you know who isn’t laying?
@aart has a link to the buttcheck technique, I have never actually done the butt check...
Gary

Butt check is to see who is actively laying.
I 'cull' based on age and/or overall health and/or breeding prospects.
Have sold or slaughtered actively laying hens too.

Back
Top Bottom