WHEN TO INSTALL THE CERAMIC EGGS...

All are roughly 3 months at this point. So, based on what your saying they maybe starting to practice since they are getting to the 4 month mark? The cards showed all roughly between Feb and March. That's why I was a little surprised the last week to see what I've been seeing.

For my first batch on this property I put the golf balls into the nests when I opened them about a month before I expected them to start laying.

The window of possible laying is quite wide -- anywhere from about 18 weeks to 6 months. As long as they're not sleeping in the nests there's no harm in opening the nests early (since I have mixed ages they're always open now), and putting in the fakes.

Note: POL pullets make a MESS of the nests -- kicking out the bedding (even after I raised the lip), and knocking the golf balls out. They calm down after they actually start laying.

Note: There are lots of different options for fake eggs -- from the nice ceramics to random roundish rocks. I personally like golf balls because I can tell them from the real eggs by touch when rummaging around under a broody.

Back
Top Bottom