When to integrate with adults

holiday hawk

Chirping
Apr 12, 2023
I have 4 chicks that vary in age from 9-11ish weeks. When I bought my property, the previous owners had one of those prefab coops with a smaller fenced section attached to the coop, and then built an actual 12x12 covered run around that prefab coop/cheap fencing. So essentially there is a run within the run. We ended up getting the adults an actual coop, and when the adults moved out of the smaller prefab coop, the babies started spending the daytime when it was warmer in it. They later moved moved in for good. They went out during the day for about a week or so, and then have been living in the old prefab coop permanently for 2 1/2 weeks (it will be three weeks this Saturday). So the babies and adults have seen each other for that three and a half week period, but have not been able to interact with each other. At what point should I move the babies in with the adults? Should I just move them in their at night, or should I let them interact with each other first under my supervision and then separate them back to their own coops first before they permanently move in with each?

I would start letting them interact on a day when you have time to supervise. For me, moving into the same coop is the last step, I want to make sure they can get along well enough during day time before they're all enclosed in a smaller space together.

Back
Top Bottom