When to introduce native soil to chicks?

Apr 15, 2021
Hello,

im a first time chicken owner, we currently have 6 chicks in our brooder ranging in age from 8 days to 6 days old. We have them on non medicated starter feed and was reading about introducing them to native soil but am not sure when, there is also an issue with one of the older chicks having symptoms similar to aspergillosis. Since we brought her home I noticed she was panting although eating and drinking and active like the other chicks. She has declined in health to wear she could not hold herself up and was lethargic with eyes closed gasping for air. From what I read there’s not much that can be done for her however we have been feeding her electrolytes through a syringe and after a day of this is now able to walk to the feeder and eat on her own although she is still panting.

so my question is two fold: when can I introduce native soil to my chicks? And is this advisable considering one of them is unwell and already struggling :(

I put soil in my brooder from the beginning and have had good results.

I’m sorry to hear one of yours chicks isn’t doing well. I haven’t dealt with aspergillosis so can’t offer any advise weather it would be counter indicated with your peeps. Maybe someone else will have an idea on that.

No idea what the effects of aspergillus are on chickens, other than possible fatalities.

As far as "native soil," my chicks go from the store straight into the run, so they're introduced at 2-3 days old. I've not had issues with coccidiosis with the chicks raised this way (they're on non-medicated feed, and non-vaccinated) but did have coccidiosis in my first batch of birds that had been brooded inside with no exposure to anything outside until 5 weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom