when to introduce young pullets to flock

Nanny Deb

Songster
5 Years
May 25, 2017
NC
I have 6 chickens and 1 Roo. One of the girls is broody and so lately it seems I only have 5 and 1 roo. That said, I bought earlier in the season 5/13/20 4 white baby chicks, so they are almost 2 months. I had raised them until last week in a fenced in kids plastic swimming pool, but recently moved them to the big 10x10 coup where I quartered off an area and enclosed them in it. They see the big chickens but no one can get to each other. Whats a good time to take down the wire and let them be all be together? I would love them to get some sunshine but I dont want to see them dead, hurt, etc... funny how you can get attache to chickens.

We raised our 6 chicks side by side with the big girls from just a few days old. Last week at 4 weeks old we opened up the chick (panic) doors in the brooder. The chicks mingle as they like. They get an occasional peck.

So the way I usually do it is I wait until they have no baby fluff left and then I put them in a stall in the barn (my flock is free ranged so it’s hard to keep them separated for long. They’ll wander out on their own. Make sure the little ones have places to hide in case they get bullied at first. I’ve never had huge problems since my flock is polite to each other and they’ve just kinda gotten used to new birds showing up every season lol. But age wise- I lose track so I just go on feathering and size. Once they look like mini chickens they’re ready to go out.

How long have both sides been able to see each other? How large is your coop and run, and have you already set it up with clutter for the younger birds to hide behind, and multiple feeders and waterers to prevent resource guarding?

2 weeks is a good benchmark, though I'd go by behavior of the older birds to decide when is a good time - some interest is ok, but you don't want them pacing around in agitation at the sight of the younger birds.

How long have both sides been able to see each other? How large is your coop and run, and have you already set it up with clutter for the younger birds to hide behind, and multiple feeders and waterers to prevent resource guarding?

2 weeks is a good benchmark, though I'd go by behavior of the older birds to decide when is a good time - some interest is ok, but you don't want them pacing around in agitation at the sight of the younger birds.

Thank you, Chicks are almost 8 weeks old, they are about the size of a LARGE dove.. I never thought about clutter for hiding.. the coup is big and I suppose I could just cut a door way in the wire and open it at night and leave it open. They are in the 10 x10 coop where I fenced off a area with chicken wire to separate them from the big girls and Roo. Theyre such sweet girls I almost feel like Im throwing them to the wolves . lol I guess I am the true mother hen.

the chickens also have a 25x25 or larger area for them to run around in.. My girls all hide under the coop during the heat of the day even though I put of a tarp for shade and protection they prefer the underneith of the coop. go figure. If the babys go under there I may not be able to get them,,

Here's a thread on clutter for a run: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

My own "obstacle course" - note that anything that's against a wall has more than 1 exit, making it difficult to corner a bird. Layout's so effective that I have a hard time grabbing a bird that doesn't want to be picked up. ;)
obstacles.jpg

ok heres another question, My broody girl chicken has been dutiful for a week and 1/2 and today I found she is laying on only golf balls. She did have 4 eggs and Im not sure where or what got them...? but now shes on the golf balls.. I put 6 guinea fowl under her and I chicken egg that was handy. I have eggs in a bowl inside, can I put some under her or are they no good?

Here's a thread on clutter for a run: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

My own "obstacle course" - note that anything that's against a wall has more than 1 exit, making it difficult to corner a bird. Layout's so effective that I have a hard time grabbing a bird that doesn't want to be picked up. ;)
View attachment 2224597
do you have pictures of your coup area, brooder area is a place brood chicks can have privacy.. do you put them there or do they go on there own. LOL my hubby thinks Im nuts but my girls are more than just layers to me they are pets.

do you have pictures of your coup area, brooder area is a place brood chicks can have privacy.. do you put them there or do they go on there own. LOL my hubby thinks Im nuts but my girls are more than just layers to me they are pets.

My coop page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/egg-song-music-factory.74019/ and brooder page (which includes my integration info): https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Back
Top Bottom