When to move chicks outside?

They are in our living room with a brinsea heating plate on the tallest setting. We keep our house at 65-67 degrees and they have started to snuggle together away from the heating plate and dig a hole in their pine shavings to sleep.

Do you have a room (basement, garage, unused bath or bedroom) that's cooler or can be made cooler (i.e. opening a window in a bathroom)? That'll help expose them to colder ambient temperatures while still in a controlled environment.

Other alternative is to take them outside in a chick safe enclosure with an available draft/wind protected area, for play time, starting at maybe 1 hour the first day, and extending out longer over subsequent days as they get used to the cooler temperatures outside.

Do you have a room (basement, garage, unused bath or bedroom) that's cooler or can be made cooler (i.e. opening a window in a bathroom)? That'll help expose them to colder ambient temperatures while still in a controlled environment.

Other alternative is to take them outside in a chick safe enclosure with an available draft/wind protected area, for play time, starting at maybe 1 hour the first day, and extending out longer over subsequent days as they get used to the cooler temperatures outside.
We have a garage we could put them in. We use it for storage mainly, and have a baby play pen we could keep them in with the heat plate just in case. Thank you!

Not sure of what your dimensions are, I am thinking of our dog house, 3 x 4 feet, maybe...

Unless you have an incredibly large dog house, 5 chickens is probably going to be a wreck. They are so tiny now, what is more than enough space is rapidly going to be not near enough space. Lack of space cause very, very ugly behaviors.

For 5 adult chickens, you would need a coop size of about 5 x 4feet or bigger. If you don't have that, do not get the chicks. The dog house will work fine for 3 chicks. And you really don't need a fancy set up, but what you really do need is SPACE.

Mrs K

Not sure of what your dimensions are, I am thinking of our dog house, 3 x 4 feet, maybe...

Unless you have an incredibly large dog house, 5 chickens is probably going to be a wreck. They are so tiny now, what is more than enough space is rapidly going to be not near enough space. Lack of space cause very, very ugly behaviors.

For 5 adult chickens, you would need a coop size of about 5 x 4feet or bigger. If you don't have that, do not get the chicks. The dog house will work fine for 3 chicks. And you really don't need a fancy set up, but what you really do need is SPACE.

Mrs K
We are building a larger coop, and the dog house (4×5×3) is temporary. :) we are also repurposing 2 xl twin size beds together for a larger coop. The dog house is just to use until the big coop is finished (about 2 weeks). 3 chicks are bantam, so I didn't really think they needed the same size as an average chicken..might have been my mistake and misunderstood that about bantams.

oh no, I did not know this other plan. Sometimes people get chicken math, and their chicks are so little, not realizing that in 6 months, they are making a wreck.

I would be getting my chicks outside. My DH cannot tolerate birds in the house, I raise mine for just a couple of weeks in the garage, and then get them outside as soon as possible.

Mrs K

oh no, I did not know this other plan. Sometimes people get chicken math, and their chicks are so little, not realizing that in 6 months, they are making a wreck.

I would be getting my chicks outside. My DH cannot tolerate birds in the house, I raise mine for just a couple of weeks in the garage, and then get them outside as soon as possible.

Mrs K
While my husband is pretty tolerant of birds in the house, my nose isn't 😅 we will finish up the run and coop today and bring them outside, clean the brooder and go get the last 2 chicks tomorrow! Thank you for your insight!!

Mrs K
They spent the night outside last night & did fine! No loud chirping, and woke up and have been fine ever since. :) thank you!!
20210301_075745.jpg

Back
Top Bottom