When to move from powder to crumble to pellets

litl red hen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
Connecticut
I am new to the Chicken business but I am loving every minute of it. I am especially thrilled to have access to this site. Everyone has such great information and advice.

That said, at what ages do I move from the 'powdery' food on to the crumble and then the pellet form?

My 9 chicks are now 9 weeks old!!! I am worse than a mother hen and want to be sure I don't move forward too quickly with their feed. Currently we have them on the powdery with a slight mix of the crumble form.

Suggestions???

I am certainly no expert, but I don't ever use the powdered stuff. My babies start with crumbles from day one. I keep them on the starter/grower crumbles until they are ready to lay (about 20 weeks give or take) and then switch to layer pellets. This seems to work well.
smile.png

Welcome and enjoy those babies.
smile.png

I guess it depends on what you like and what is available. I don't like the powders or mashes because it seems like there is more waste. My chick starter is crumbles.

I tried layer pellets and the hens didn't like it....the laying mash I get now is more powdered and they can't get enough. The feed store mixes their own and they say everyone tells them the same thing....their chickens love it! I think its a matter of preference, really.

I was buying the feed store powder, too. The chickens also loved it, BUT I had to stop buying it. I think there is a lot of corn in there, so it is like empty calories for the chickens, and they just eat more and more and more. And because corn has gone up, it's now too expensive anyway.

I'm crumble all the way.

Back
Top Bottom