When to move Silkie chicks

TrystInn

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Two of our hens hatched Silkie chicks on August 18th and one of them is already laying again. Given how tiny these chicks are compared to my standard-sized ones - at what point do folks generally integrate Silkie or other bantam chicks into the rest of their bantam flocks?

And because I know pics are always a good idea, here's two of our Silkie chicks:

28Sept012.jpg

I'm chomping at the bit because I'd love to have another set of chicks before Winter!

Last edited:
i wouldnt add them back to the flock till there at least 4 to 6 months old bigenuf to fend for them self but there with there moms the moms might protect there babies till the other silkies say ok u can stay

Quote:
Then it is the mom's job to protect the chicks. If you think they will be good moms, they can all join the flock now. From my experience, once the chicks get around 6 weeks old the mama starts chasing them away, and it is good for the rest of the flock to have accepted them by then.

Otherwise, if "just chicks" are joining the flock, 4 months old is the safest time to integrate them, or when they are about the same size as the adults.

If they are with the mama and in the coop, I'd leave them be. That's how chicks have been reared for centuries. I have 5 different clutches of chicks all raised in the coop, with their mamas until she kicks them loose and by that time they are already part of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom