When to move to coop????

I've been eagerly reading this thread, but am still not certain if I can move my babies out.
They're about 3 weeks old. They've been in a box on our screened porch, but now they can all fly out, so they're really just free-roaming on our porch, which my husband is not thrilled with.
I'm in central Texas, so the weather is mild (upper 60's at night, 80's in the day). We have an Omlet inside our coop, so they will have room of their own and shelter. The only problem is we've been getting so much rain!
Can I put them out and trust that they will go in the enclosure when it rains or is that old saying about being so stupid they'll drown in the rain true?
My Bigs are fine in the rain, but these little guys are just look so helpless!

Thanks!

Ours are 2 1/2 weeks and also in a dog crate in our kitchen. Our coop is up and running, but empty! It's like when I was expecting! I'm in the UK. Where are you?x
I'm in the US, East Coast. It's great you have the coop ready for when you need it though! I bet it is a bit like nesting, waiting for the baby (babies) to fill the room! How many and what do you have?

I've been eagerly reading this thread, but am still not certain if I can move my babies out.
They're about 3 weeks old. They've been in a box on our screened porch, but now they can all fly out, so they're really just free-roaming on our porch, which my husband is not thrilled with.
I'm in central Texas, so the weather is mild (upper 60's at night, 80's in the day). We have an Omlet inside our coop, so they will have room of their own and shelter. The only problem is we've been getting so much rain!
Can I put them out and trust that they will go in the enclosure when it rains or is that old saying about being so stupid they'll drown in the rain true?
My Bigs are fine in the rain, but these little guys are just look so helpless!

Thanks!

There's no reason your chicks shouldn't move into their permanent quarters. As far as knowing to keep out of the rain, they will learn. Deal with it when it happens, and have a hair dryer handy if you need it for slow learners.

If they have to access their coop via a ramp, you may need to spend a couple days teaching them. They may also need help knowing when to go in at night. It will help to coop them up for a few days when you move them in. It imprints that this is home, and will make things go smoother.

I'm in the US, East Coast. It's great you have the coop ready for when you need it though! I bet it is a bit like nesting, waiting for the baby (babies) to fill the room! How many and what do you have?
We have 4 red sex links that were hatched in the reception class at my school. I am very excited!

I would move the babies outside in nice weather.... If you have older chickens make sure to seperate them for a time. Bigger ones will attack the babies if they have never seen them before. If your wanting to keep them on the porch longer just add a piece of wire mesh over the brooder. That's what I've done. We keep getting bad weather here so I haven't put the 4 inside ones outside yet.

I try to only hatch in the spring/early summer when the weather is warm enough to move the babies from the tote inside the house, to the outside brooder pen at 2 weeks old. It also helps that the babies will be full grown when cold weather comes in the fall. Here is a pic of my outside brooder pen.

I currently have 6 three week old babies inside. The pen has a small run so the babies don't get lost and can find their way back inside the house. I can lock them inside the house at night or if the weather isn't agreeable and there is a light inside for heat if needed. The removable floor of the house is half inch hardware cloth with an insect screen insert underneath to keep out mosquitoes at night. The insect screen also catches the droppings that fall through the hardware cloth, You can also place a piece of cardboard on top of the screen to block airflow when you are trying to keep the house warm. When they outgrow this pen, I have a 6X8 run, which you can see in the background behind the chain link pen. The smaller brooder pen sits right on top of the larger run and becomes a multi-level chicken tractor.

Question...I have 4 hens that I got last Easter...I now have 20 new hens that are about 12 weeks (not chicks from previous hens)...when do I introduce them without them getting pecked to death...I read somewhere that you have to be careful when introducing new hens or there can be trouble...Have had one out in yard to see what would happen and rooster and two of the other hens went right after her...any suggestions welcome...Thank you in advance.
yippiechickie.gif

You need to create a separation area so they can get to know each other though the fence. After you do this then you can begin integration. I would also make sure you have some hiding spots so the younger ones can get away from the older chickens. They will still chase them as they need to establish pecking order.

We are new to chickens too. Ours moved into their coop at 5 1/2 weeks old. The nights are not too cold here (NC) but the weather is pretty changeable. At first it was in the 70's during the day 60's at night then we had 80's 60's and then a cold front came through and it was 80's during the day 50 at night. I was a little worried about the 50 degree weather but they did just fine in their coop. No light or heat added. We did close all the windows. The temp in the coop got as low as 50 but they did great. Since its late spring we don't expect to have many cool nights. We do get some snow and cold weather in fall and winter so we did make modifications on our coop to allow electrical into it. We will use a heat lamp probably in winter. Now we are having warm weather again so the windows will get opened back up. We have 2 RIR,2 Eastereggers, and 1 Dorking. All are adorable and doing very well. We are having a blast with these chickens.

Back
Top Bottom