When to Name Chicks?

It will probably only happen once. I name pretty much all of them eventually. My boyfriend got attached to four cockerels in the first set he helped me raise. He gave them clemency, as he put it. Now he complains we have no chickens to eat while simultaneously building a new living arrangement for the three we decided weren’t breeding material after they harassed the hens and caused all sorts of havoc in the flock as they’ve matured. Guess who won’t be granting any more clemency? lol

:lau omg I love that story!

We name them almost as soon as we get them.

We have 9 turned out to be roos, some needed tweeks on there names. Like Elsa became Kristoph and Dottie turned to a Donnie. Since it's just the kids and I that tend to the chickens my husband has no problems turning roos into meals. All them usually have one little thing that allows us to keep track of who is who. Sometimes I need to look at the look alike to figure out who is who but they don't care.

We have 19 all named and 12 eggs under 2 broody hens. All will be name that hatch :)

I watch the chicks quite a bit and name a few according to the way they act. I named the excited run around one "Sadie". That's what I was called as an overactive kid! I named the runt "Ethel" and the one Buff Orpington that lets me pick her up "Buffy". The rooster that was supposed to be a pullet I named "Black Bart". He's a black giant. The other 20 do not have names. . . .yet! I named one Margaret last batch and we had to change his name to Cody! Can you guess why??? :D

I pre-named my chicks before I even got them. Planning on getting more chicks this year and I've already got names picked out for that batch too. I do that with dogs and other pets as well... I have a bunch of names in my head and use the one that seems the best fit.

I wish I could think of that many names! I am currently pregnant with our 3rd son and had so much trouble finding a name we actually liked. I guess chickens should be easier tho. Lol.

I wish I could think of that many names! I am currently pregnant with our 3rd son and had so much trouble finding a name we actually liked. I guess chickens should be easier tho. Lol.

Been there with girl names- a challenge to find kid names that both can agree on! At least with chickens you can be as odd or fanciful as you wish! Good luck!

Here's a suggestion (my husband hates it, but I think it's clever to keep track of things) - I plan on naming each batch with the same letter. So my first set of chicks all got B names (well, "Bu" - i.e. Bubbles, Buttercup, Bunny). The next set will get Cu names (i.e. Custard, Cupcake, Cuddles). I always find it easiest to think of names when you have some sort of restriction, as opposed to just pulling random names out of thin air.

Back
Top Bottom