when to pick up chicks ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flopshot, Mar 24, 2009.

1. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    so the chicks are due in to the feed store thursday. should i go get them right away or wait for the possible 'stress' of shipment to show ? i was thinking friday would be a better choice as the chicks would have had a day to settle down. thanks.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Immediately if I were you. The stress from shipping will be overcome much easier if an individual does it. You will watch them more carefully than they will. Unless the shipment is specifically for you, they could be all gone come Fri. Fuzzy butts!!!!

3. wrenheninn

wrenheninn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    It seems like I always lose around 10% of my chicks either way, so you should probably go get them before someone else does!

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'd pick them up as soon as possible. Giving them a day to settle down at the feed store may just stress them more if you move them again. This way you'll get one of the first picks, too.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would get them right away.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It's best to get them right away!

Be sure to post pics so we can all see them once you get them home and settled in. [​IMG]

7. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    If we don't go right away they would all be gone. We don't even buy them there we ordered ours. But it so nice to go look.

8. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    I'd get them immediately too [​IMG] Especially if they have a breed you want. Around here, chicks are selling out within 2 hours in some cases and it takes a while for them to get that same breed in again.

9. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    thanks for the replies. i was concerned about selling out but i had not considered the fact that personal attention would be a plus.

10. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I waited a day and now i have so many problems with my babies. They werent taken very good care of at the store from the time they arrived to when i picked them up. I now go at opening when i dont special order and within a couple hours of opening when they get their shippments. I figure they are better at home with us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by